it is getting close!

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

it is getting close!

Postby JustinNH » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:55 pm

In the past few weeks I have picked up my case of ammo, a new dog vest, 6 black duck, 8 teal, and 8 mallard decoys, and a brand new layout blind! (Thank you metal detecting gold)

This past weekend we re-rigged all the old decoys and set up my buffies to be on a mini long line to save time and tangling. Will be buying line and weights for the new decoys to fix them up soon. Even cleaned out half the shed to use a shelving unit to store decoys I won't be using on particular hunts :thumbsup:

Blind bag has been repacked due to crow hunting and camo clothing is coming out of the closet. Gloves being matched up and waders repatched!

Not much longer!!!!
JustinNH
State Moderator

Re: it is getting close!

Postby NHDuckHunter » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:00 pm

JustinNH wrote:In the past few weeks I have picked up my case of ammo, a new dog vest, 6 black duck, 8 teal, and 8 mallard decoys, and a brand new layout blind! (Thank you metal detecting gold)

This past weekend we re-rigged all the old decoys and set up my buffies to be on a mini long line to save time and tangling. Will be buying line and weights for the new decoys to fix them up soon. Even cleaned out half the shed to use a shelving unit to store decoys I won't be using on particular hunts :thumbsup:

Blind bag has been repacked due to crow hunting and camo clothing is coming out of the closet. Gloves being matched up and waders repatched!

Not much longer!!!!

Oh man I HATE that part :lol3:

I was down in Texas last week, and it kind of hit me, we are in the last days now.
I've been kicking back and forth buying a new gun all summer and finally last week decided on one. So I came back Monday and took the day off with the plan of going out and picking up the gun. they are sold out every where. :fingerhead:
Waited too long I guess. I'll be getting stuff out and together next week. Just got done sitting down with my 8 year old son and trying all his clothes on to make sure he is set with clothes (I am pretty sure all my stuff still fits). I'm usually pretty good about buying stuff I need in December/January, so I should be all set with new gear, got a bunch of stuff after Christmas last year.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby chefletch » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:26 pm

tick tock..yes indeed...i always start counting days in August.

just waiting on some new goose floaters to come in. have always enjoyed the early goose season, early archery season gets in the way sometimes :sad:

Justin..sounds like you have been busy!
If it Flies, It dies.... if it's brown knock it down
chefletch
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:15 am

NHDuckHunter wrote:Oh man I HATE that part :lol3:

I've been kicking back and forth buying a new gun all summer and finally last week decided on one. So I came back Monday and took the day off with the plan of going out and picking up the gun. they are sold out every where. :fingerhead:

haha Yeah, I threw that line int here knowing others suffer the same way I do with gloves :mad:

Which gun were you looking at?

Chefletch- Good luck in the archery season!
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby NHDuckHunter » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:42 pm

VersaMax. Berettas and Benellis never seem to fit me right, and I've had some mixed luck with my last Browning. In reading and reading and reading it seems maybe Remington put some of their past ghosts behind them, at least I hope so.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby deertoducks » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:32 pm

NHDuckHunter wrote:VersaMax. Berettas and Benellis never seem to fit me right, and I've had some mixed luck with my last Browning. In reading and reading and reading it seems maybe Remington put some of their past ghosts behind them, at least I hope so.

I thought the same thing last year, I bought a new remington auto and third trip out sea ducking the trigger mech. sheared. Went out the next day and bought the Beretta A400 Exteme :thumbsup: It came with shims so I was able to make it fit well and shot flawless the last ten sea duck hunting trips of last season. Good luck with what ever you choose :thumbsup:
deertoducks
hunter

Postby chefletch » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:54 pm

reading the post about the beretta not fitting you made me think about the shims and the different butt extenders that came with my new gun(extrema 2). i shot mine with out any factory changes, went back added a shim and extender the stock, which brough my line of sight down, essentially changing the length of pull and the drop at comb......made a HUGE difference!
i am on the taller/skinny side with a longer than normal neck so i needed to make those changes....i am expecting an increase in my success this year, as i realized that the gub i had been shooting never fit me well....

ultimately trust your gut and don't force yourself to like a gun-with the shims, etc nowadays most guns can be adjusted so it does fit you.

for the record, i did look at a versa max...let me know what you think and how it does for you....good luck! :hammer:
If it Flies, It dies.... if it's brown knock it down
chefletch
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:31 am

A while ago I tried out a bunch of guns.
3 fit me very well. Stoeger 2000, Maxus, and the Vinci. Don't think I tried the versa max.

I picked up the stoeger, which fit the best and happened to be the cheapest. This will be its 3rd or 4th season, Depending on metal detecting profits next year, may upgrade in a year or two.

Good luck with your purchase. :thumbsup:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby NHDuckHunter » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:49 am

deertoducks wrote:
NHDuckHunter wrote:VersaMax. Berettas and Benellis never seem to fit me right, and I've had some mixed luck with my last Browning. In reading and reading and reading it seems maybe Remington put some of their past ghosts behind them, at least I hope so.

I thought the same thing last year, I bought a new remington auto and third trip out sea ducking the trigger mech. sheared. Went out the next day and bought the Beretta A400 Exteme :thumbsup: It came with shims so I was able to make it fit well and shot flawless the last ten sea duck hunting trips of last season. Good luck with what ever you choose :thumbsup:

Was it a VersaMax? Or one of the older semi's?
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:51 am

chefletch wrote:reading the post about the beretta not fitting you made me think about the shims and the different butt extenders that came with my new gun(extrema 2).

Nobody told me you could get an Extrema 2 with a built in hand warmer??!!?? What the hell?? :beer: :beer:
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting