Need some tips

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Need some tips

Postby radisson » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:46 pm

Hi new to the thread started duckhunting 2 years ago with out much sucess i would like top know what people out there are using for ammo i looked into buying some kent fast steel just want to know if anyone has used it and how they like it? I have a benelli nove 12 with a 28 inch brl also is there any choke sets anyone would recommend? I shot # 4s last year and did not drop any ducks took a few shots. Hope to have better luck this year Thanks in advance.
radisson
hunter

Re: Need some tips

Postby JustinNH » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:13 pm

:welcome: to the forum!

I shoot black cloud 2s or 3s in 3". I use an improved cyl with those loads.

I have shot many types and before I had this gun I could only shoot 2 3/4 shells and I used to shoot Xpert 4's mainly, but several others shot pretty well for me as well.
With anything besides black cloud, I prefer to shoot modified choke.

Of course, the only way to truly know is to pattern several loads, at several distances, with several chokes. :thumbsup:

4's should be plenty to kill ducks. Late season, dropping down a shot size or two may help.
Also depends on what types of ducks... teal vs. late season mallards... any puddler vs. most divers, etc.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby poor_duck » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:39 pm

These shells perform well and come at a relatively inexpensive price making it worth your wild.for choke PatternMaster good for duck and geese And the last thing should be the first thing you should find place for target practice or skeet shooting will help allot good luck :thumbsup:
poor_duck
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:18 am

Me too, if value is a part of your decision process, I love the Kent's. I use them mainly early season in a 3" 4. As the season progresses, I may switch to a #2. Then late season I start using which ever "Softer then Lead" non-tox I can find. You will notice a huge difference between anything steel, and one of the mixed loads. IMO.
To each their own though, personally, I hate the Black Cloud but others, like Justin, seem to love it. You got to find what works best for you out of your gun.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby Benny8 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:05 am

Welcome to the addiction! Like Justin mentioned, patterning your gun is very critical. Some shells just don't perform well out of some guns. My brother and I both shoot Winchester SX2's-his gun does not pattern Kent well, while mine patterns decent. Both our guns do not pattern black cloud for beans. It is just a matter of finding out what does and doesn't pattern for your own gun. Shooting trap, skeet, and crows is also beneficial practice for the duck season. Best of luck and post your sucesses! :beer:
Benny8
hunter

Postby Rise and Shine Retrievers » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:07 am

Early season I like the Black Cloud #4 with a Imp Cyl. Late seson you'll see me slip in the BC #4 first and back it up with the Xpert #2. Still using the same choke. I have not had good luck with the BC #2. Patterning your gun is a must. My hunting buddies are shooting everything from Kent to Heavy Metal. I can tell you the Heavy Metal knocks them down.
A Lab you train, a Chessie you negotiate with.
Rise and Shine Retrievers
hunter

Postby Benny8 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:57 am

Rise and Shine Retrievers wrote:Early season I like the Black Cloud #4 with a Imp Cyl. Late seson you'll see me slip in the BC #4 first and back it up with the Xpert #2. Still using the same choke. I have not had good luck with the BC #2. Patterning your gun is a must. My hunting buddies are shooting everything from Kent to Heavy Metal. I can tell you the Heavy Metal knocks them down.

x2 on Hevi Metal. I have been shooting it for two years now and it patterns well out of my gun. It knocks them dead. Number of cripples has dropped considerably. I run a Hevi Metal Mid range choke as well.
Benny8
hunter

Postby radisson » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:18 am

Thanks guys i have bought some kents, winchester, and bc hope to get out tues and pattern them. All i have know is the stock chokes that came with the gun should i upgrade? Also i started out with # 4s for now. :thumbsup:
radisson
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:55 am

radisson wrote:Thanks guys i have bought some kents, winchester, and bc hope to get out tues and pattern them. All i have know is the stock chokes that came with the gun should i upgrade? Also i started out with # 4s for now. :thumbsup:

Shoot them first, see how they pattern. I've never had any problems with any of my choke tubes. I've bought skeet chokes for a few different guns, but the chokes I use for hunting have always been adequate.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby mojo » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:26 am

I just shoot the cheapo Winchester Xperts. I've patterned them a few times but don't go nuts with counting pellets, diameters of spread, etc. I used to shoot Kents but never noticed any decrease in performance switching to the cheap stuff so I figured that extra money could be better spent.

I usually shoots 3s year round if I can find them. I'll use 4s on my teal hunts. I've never had a problem killing late season birds or geese with 3s. I generally keep my shots to decoying birds and don't stretch out past 30 yards. If I know I'll definitely be chasing geese I will up it to a 2 shot though.

IC choke.
mojo
hunter

Postby DucksnDeer76 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:08 pm

Heavy Metal 3" #3's seem to pattern great for me out to 40 yards with my Winchester SX2 and a factory improved cylinder choke. My brother Benny8 shoots a mid range Heavy Metal choke through his SX2 with good patterns. A big factor in knocking down birds is properly estimating ranges. Something I'm still figuring out myself... :biggrin:
DucksnDeer76
hunter

Postby tucker02 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:13 pm

Ive shot either kent or black cloud for years out of a winchester sx2 with a modified choke with good results. I purchased a kicks high flyer full choke a few years back and am extremely happy with it and shoot black cloud exclusivly now. Mostly 3 inch 3's unless im after honkers or seaducks and i switch to 3.5 inch BB's or 2's.I would say to try a aftermarket choke and practice alot. If you aren't on them it doesnt matter what you shoot. Good luck
tucker02
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting