Any one get out today?

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Any one get out today?

Postby rickbr » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:06 pm

I was going to but couldn't get my duck stamp until today. Went out anyway. Saw about a dozen before the rain really started to come down. Went by another spot and saw a couple of guys out with some floaters and a few feeders on the shore. Good on them for sticking it out. I think it was raining hardest the whole time I was sitting there.

Going to try in the A.M. with a buddy.

Good luck everyone.
rickbr
hunter

Re: Any one get out today?

Postby Benny8 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:44 pm

Went out after work. I too didn't get my stamp until today. Took my father out and showed him what we do. He has never hunted ducks and geese. We went to a field my buddy Kwacker had some success in this morning. We set out decoys and stubbled up the layout blinds. After about an hour and a half, I realized why he never hunted much period. 60 years old and still no patience. It is too "slow" for him. Oh well, I tried. I have never seen anyone that would rather cut wood than hunt. To each their own. Hunting is my therapy. Good luck everyone.
Benny8
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:21 pm

Went out after work for a bit. Had some come in just inside of range but a bit farther than we wanted and they looked like they were going to circle back... they didn't. Landed down the shore.

Good luck tomorrow. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I wont be out until the weekend.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby chefletch » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:51 pm

got out in the morning with some floaters at a small pond that has not been a roost....no luck, but did see some mosquitos the size of small geese :lol3:

did see A LOT of ducks though....i think i bagged a couple of limits in my mind
If it Flies, It dies.... if it's brown knock it down
chefletch
hunter

Postby kwacker » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:06 pm

I got out before work and had 4 come into my small spread and was lucky enough to put 3 of them on the ground. Kirby my yellow lab was very happy that he was not picking up another crow. That was all I saw except for the 2 does that were standing about 45yds from me eating corn. I think that I am going to use goose decoys for deer hunting, because everytime that I have them out and a deer comes out into the field, they walk right over to them.
kwacker
hunter

Postby rickbr » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:21 pm

Congratz Kwacker. At least you got a few down.

This is how my morning went.
They decided to see what the plastic geese were eating

Then they thought they would sample my blind while they were there

They weren't happy when I threw the blind into the back of my truck

After this I moved onto the other side of the pond and had one goose fly in and land at the pond. Saw nothing but crows the rest of the morning. Took one pot shot at one but missed. Was nice getting out though.
rickbr
hunter

Postby kwacker » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:31 pm

rickbr, if you could possibly tie a goose flag to the tail of one of those cows & mount a decoy on the back of each one you might just have the best motion decoys in the business. You are right though, it was nice to get out. Good luck with the rest of your season.
kwacker
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:47 pm

Rick- sorry to hear about your day, but it sure made for a good story! :lol:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby rickbr » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:08 pm

Glad I can be of some entertainment value :grooving: Lord knows I don't have any knowledge
or experience to impart. :eek:
rickbr
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting