Maiden Voyage

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: Ross R, JustinNH

Maiden Voyage

Postby Benny8 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:20 am

So the Ol' Seamist DH made her maiden waterfowl voyage this morning. After hours of work by Kwacker, my bro-ducksndeer76, and myself, it was good to get her out for her intended purpose. We left the launch at o'dark thirty and motored to our designated spot. As the decoys were being set, we had woodies, mallards and teal buzzing us. Once the geese were set and we got the blind set up, the show was on. We saw so many birds it was unbelievable. Flocks of 40-50 teal, woodies galore, and mallards. That alone was worth the price of admission. All of a sudden there were bass boats everywhere. We had guys within 50 yards of the boat looking at the decoys. At one point my brother asked how close they were going to get to the spread. With a surprised look on his face, the guy says "we just realized they were decoys." We all agreed that the boat must be blinded up real well if they could get that close. We had birds working, but with the bass fisherman that close, they wouldn't commit. Finally a flock came in from behind us and Jay and Steve each took a bird. Kirby made a fantastic retrieve while dragging a Herters decoy with him out about 70 yards. To end the day, a cripple that had sailed by us out of range, Jay stalked upon it and as it tried to take flight he dispatched it. The wind really kicked up and it was a rough ride back to the launch. The boat worked out awesome and was very comfortable to hunt out of. After seeing all those birds, the juices are really flowing.
Kwacker and Jay in the blind
Belle ready for action
Kirby ready
Kirby tuckered out after a tough retrieve
Jay tracking down a cripple
The days bounty
Benny8
hunter

Re: Maiden Voyage

Postby JustinNH » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:36 am

Good to hear all went well, congrats on the success! :thumbsup:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby kwacker » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:02 am

I have to say that it was a very enjoyable morning in the boat. It was so comfortable sitting there watching the duck show. All the cold days this winter working on the boat really paid off. Thanks Benny for a great hunt see ya in the morning.
kwacker
hunter

Postby Cigarz » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:15 pm

Looks like a great hunt, and the duck count was a definite bonus. I float a shallow-v lund along the coast, and I'm reminded that I need to start prepping. Thanks for the pics!
It's better on the water.
Cigarz
hunter

Postby poor_duck » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:55 am

Good job guys and nice pic :thumbsup:
poor_duck
hunter

Postby vt duck » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:18 am

i also hunt the river and marshes around where you were hunting i was out a couple of times in the marsh wondering how the bird action was this year? good to hear the birds are moving.
vt duck
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting