Trip to the St Lawrence River Valley

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Trip to the St Lawrence River Valley

Postby killnkyle » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:47 pm

Hey guys I got invited up to northern NY for some goose hunting and let me tell you I saw more birds last weekend than I do in a month here. I hadn't shot a goose before and when the first flock came through the decoys, BANG! first shot was a double!!!! There was a group hunting up on a field just off the river and after a volley of shots from them a small flock landed out in the middle maybe a quarter mile down river of us. When they picked up and left there was something still on the water. After a 10 minute debate (log goose or floating trash) and a lot of glassing we took out the boat and sure enough it was a wounded goose (compounded fracture on it's wing). We finished it off and brought it back to the blind. Just a little reminder to me to make your shots count and watch departing birds to see if they go down because you may not have missed as badly as you think. I can only imagine the pain and bad few days that bird would have had if we hadn't been there.
Attachments
100_0019.JPG
When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first.
Ernest Hemingway
killnkyle
hunter

Re: Trip to the St Lawrence River Valley

Postby poor_duck » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:50 pm

good job guys :thumbsup:
poor_duck
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:28 pm

Nice, congrats on the birds :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby rickbr » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:38 pm

NIce :thumbsup: Sounds like a great trip
rickbr
hunter

Postby Rise and Shine Retrievers » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:23 am

Killnkyle, nice trip. There's great hunting opportunities outside of NH.
A few years back I did a hunt on the St Lawrence on the Canadian side. Great hunt, easy drive, resonable prices, lots of birds, liberal bag limits and we could shoot until 1/2 after sunset. Our best morning was a field hunt, 40 geese down in 2 1/2 hours.
Preserve game, use a well trained retriever.
Rise and Shine Retrievers
hunter

Postby killnkyle » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:58 am

I was on the NY side for just a weekend fortunately my friend has a bunch of family up there and all hunt, so it was almost like having a free guide service :grooving: I can't wait to get back up there when duck season is open. We sat on a hole for about an hour Friday night and saw mallards, woodies, widgeon, blue wings, green wings, and gadwall. And talk about cheap, we went out for a few drinks and a round of three Bud lights was $6 :beer:
When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first.
Ernest Hemingway
killnkyle
hunter

Postby Cigarz » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:35 pm

Sounds like a great place- and thanks for sharing!
It's better on the water.
Cigarz
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting