transom reinforcing

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: Ross R, JustinNH

transom reinforcing

Postby take'emgreenheads » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:07 pm

I am looking for a person that can reinforce a transom on a 16 foot Jon boat or a way to do it myself. I am trying to put a 10 horse on aboat that has trouble with a 7.5 motor
take'emgreenheads
hunter

Re: transom reinforcing

Postby Rise and Shine Retrievers » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:02 am

I took a 16' v hull with a short transom and replaced it to accept a long shaft motor. I removed the old transom and used 2 pressure treated 2 X 10's glued together to replace it to the height that I wanted. I ran a 25 hp motor on this boat for years with no problem and the guy I sold it to still has it today.
Preserve game, use a well trained retriever.
Rise and Shine Retrievers
hunter

Postby Benny8 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:33 pm

Rise and Shine Retrievers wrote:I took a 16' v hull with a short transom and replaced it to accept a long shaft motor. I removed the old transom and used 2 pressure treated 2 X 10's glued together to replace it to the height that I wanted. I ran a 25 hp motor on this boat for years with no problem and the guy I sold it to still has it today.

You don't want to use pressure treated in a aluminum boat. The chemicals in the P.T. wood will react with the aluminum and cause it(the aluminum) to pit, and cause more problems. Your best bet is baltic birch plywood sealed with epoxy. Good luck with your repair. :beer:
Benny8
hunter

Postby Rise and Shine Retrievers » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:49 am

Sorry guys, my bad. Thinking back, I think I used 2 pieces of 3/4" marine plywood glued together for my fix. 2 by's would've made it too thick. As I said it was a while ago. Good luck.
Preserve game, use a well trained retriever.
Rise and Shine Retrievers
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting