One more week

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

One more week

Postby killnkyle » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:09 am

Is it just me or is the longest week of the year? I feel like it's going to last a month :crying:
What's everyone doing for last minute prep?
When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first.
Ernest Hemingway
killnkyle
hunter

Re: One more week

Postby capt1972 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:30 am

killnkyle wrote:Is it just me or is the longest week of the year? I feel like it's going to last a month :crying:
What's everyone doing for last minute prep?

everything I should have done the last 8 months
capt1972
hunter

Postby Benny8 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:22 pm

For me, and anyone else mentoring a youth next weekend, this weekend is the last weekend to get ready. We took the kids out today and shot some trap with them, and then got some blinds ready. The way the kiddo's shot today, they will be putting a hurting on the birds next weekend. :thumbsup:
Benny8
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:21 am

Going to be a long week, I can tell you that.

Unfortunately, the way the days work (damn you, leap year), The small game opener is on a Monday so that whole weekend is ruined for me. And I have a wedding to go to. All in all, I think this week will feel slower than any other. :mad:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby NHDuckHunter » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:50 am

Finished up some work on the blinds Saturday, and went and shot some trap with the new gun on Sunday. Shot pretty well considering I haven't shot trap in over 20 years, and I was using a new gun. We'll see how it translates.

The worst part about this week is all those things I've been telling myself I don't need for the last 6 months are suddenly becoming necessities, I just ordered a new pair of waders that I totally have no need for. :fingerhead:
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby Cigarz » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:56 pm

Would like to squeeze in some clays, but the only thing I have definitely scheduled is either/or both:) KTP or Cabelas. No new shotgun this season, but thinking of picking up a new pair of chest waders. Maybe some mallards-
It's better on the water.
Cigarz
hunter

Postby killnkyle » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:21 am

Benny8 wrote:For me, and anyone else mentoring a youth next weekend, this weekend is the last weekend to get ready. We took the kids out today and shot some trap with them, and then got some blinds ready. The way the kiddo's shot today, they will be putting a hurting on the birds next weekend. :thumbsup:

That's great Benny! We'll be taking my God daughter out a few times this year. Her birthday is this upcoming weekend and we've all gotten her something related to duck hunting. She's not quite old enough to handle a gun yet but it should be fun! Hope to see limits for your kids!

Cigarz wrote:... but the only thing I have definitely scheduled is either/or both:) KTP or Cabelas.

Headed that way myself Wednesday morning Cig!

I'm trying to get my canoe painted up and working on a sort of portable/versatile blind to use this season. not sure if it will be useful yet or not. I'll try and get some pics up when it's done.
When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first.
Ernest Hemingway
killnkyle
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:25 am

Last minute shopping ideas.

Dicks is having a sale on all their clearance waterfowl gear. They had a dozen DC mallard decoys for less than $20. They look like ass, but if you are a guy starting off, a dozen crappy decoys is better then 2 good looking decoys, and for $20, I don't think you can get two good decoys.
Odd, they had the DC Gadwalls too. They look awesome, great paint and detail. It looks like they put forth no effort on the mallards though.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby duck envy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:44 pm

I agree... one of the years longest weeks! Along with the week before bear season... the week before archery season... the week before trapping season... the week before muzzleloader season... :hammer: :yes:

Been busy during my spare time painting up a few dozen sea duck decoys, fixing a couple layout blinds, fixing the "leafy-flage" cover on my sneak boat, scouting out deals on this seasons ammo, paint touchups on some goose decoys, making half a dozen land decoys out of some cheapy duck floaters... and there's still some small things left to do.
Need to make a new "jerk rig" utilizing a couple duck "butts" and no head feeders. Figured having those decoys creating erratic movement would be like putting up an "eat here" sign.
Also heading up to VT Army/Navy on Saturday to pick up a 50' roll of camo netting to make a blind for my center console. Want something to go from the water line and up above the gunwales high enough to hide a few guys sitting. Thinking it may be a bit more comfortable and easier to swing on the birds than laying down in a jon boat like we've been doing the last few years. Hopefully the sea ducks will still come near enough... never hunted them out of a bigger boat like this. BUT, ya gotta try, right!?!

Took a drive tonight and saw quite a few local mallards and geese. Scouted a bunch of duck ponds the last few weeks and it seems the woodies are around in good numbers this year. Water is so low in most of my smaller spots that the geese aren't using them like they have in the past. But we'll figure it out. The plan is to start with the woodies, move to mallards and then maybe some field hunts for geese/ducks.

Good luck to all.
duck envy
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting