Anyone go out for small game?

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Anyone go out for small game?

Postby JustinNH » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:55 pm

Pheasant? Grouse?

First opener in a long time I have had to work... pretty disappointed right now...

Hoping to hear good news from anyone who was able to go :thumbsup:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Re: Anyone go out for small game?

Postby poor_duck » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:13 pm

JustinNH wrote:Pheasant? Grouse?

First opener in a long time I have had to work... pretty disappointed right now...

Hoping to hear good news from anyone who was able to go :thumbsup:

It was a good day for pheasant and the dogs have a blast I really enjoy them in the field
Attachments
548617_450110828368380_966487930_n.jpg
548617_450110828368380_966487930_n.jpg (44.61 KiB) Viewed 487 times
poor_duck
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:58 pm

Nice! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

One day in the last weekend of Oct I'll be heading up north for some grouse and maybe a leftover pheasant. I bought a pheasant stamp not knowing they would have a new rule at work (no time off for the first 3 weeks of the quarter end). First Friday I can take off is the 26th and they don;t stock during moose season. Maybe I can squeeze in a half day on the 19th...
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby poor_duck » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:46 pm

JustinNH wrote:Nice! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

One day in the last weekend of Oct I'll be heading up north for some grouse and maybe a leftover pheasant. I bought a pheasant stamp not knowing they would have a new rule at work (no time off for the first 3 weeks of the quarter end). First Friday I can take off is the 26th and they don;t stock during moose season. Maybe I can squeeze in a half day on the 19th...

Yes its hard year for me too no time for everything I just got my federal stamp an hour ago and I’m working late till 11 or 12 mid night and nothing ready for tomorrow I don’t know how it’s going to go but I know one thing I’m not leaving the water without ducks :wink:
poor_duck
hunter

Postby rickbr » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:59 am

Got out Yesterday morning in the rain. Saw a few get taken being flushed by dogs but nothing came my way. Moved to another spot
down the road and heard a bunch of shooting but again didn't see anything myself. It's pretty tough without a dog but I still had fun being out.

Got out again this morning for a couple hours. There were only about three other guys out with dogs. They hadn't seen anything.
I heard the waterfowl guys in the distance sounding like they were having a good time. Had a few geese fly overhead and got a shot off but couldn't connect.

I may try some field hunting tomorrow since I am off.

Good luck out there guys.
rickbr
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:05 am

rickbr wrote: Had a few geese fly overhead and got a shot off but couldn't connect.

I .

I hope you were pheasant hunting with non-tox. :lol3:

I went out and spent more time helping out my father then actually hunting. Did connect on one rooster, and a woodcock.
I should have had my limit but I had a safety issue, as in, I somehow missed turning it off. :fingerhead:
It was very crowded where I was, much worse then last year. It was so bad, probably half the guys in the lot left, and it was still worse then last year.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:10 am

Congrats on the pheasant and woodcock. Woodcock is still on my 'to do' list. I'd love to get one but never see them in my grouse and pheasant spots. If ducks weren't so addicting, I'd probably spend more time looking for them..... so little time.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby NHDuckHunter » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:18 am

You have a better chance of finding woodcock in your duck spots then in your grouse spots. They like the water. As a matter of fact, I had two land in the mud outside my duck blind last year and hang out for 30 minutes. It was just after the season ended, otherwise I would have been scrambling to unload the 4's and load the 6's I use for teal. :lol3:
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:29 am

NHDuckHunter wrote:You have a better chance of finding woodcock in your duck spots then in your grouse spots. They like the water. As a matter of fact, I had two land in the mud outside my duck blind last year and hang out for 30 minutes. It was just after the season ended, otherwise I would have been scrambling to unload the 4's and load the 6's I use for teal. :lol3:

I always keep that in mind. I see lots of sand piper-like birds but never a woodcock.

If I remember correctly, on a goose hunt last year with Mush and Jay, we heard woodcock flying around before legal. Closest Iv'e been
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby Cigarz » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:48 pm

I went pheasant hunting last year and bagged a hen at our local stocking area. I don't have a dog anymore, so it was a great deal of tromping around to flush her.

I remember not being too keen on the experience, because I couldn't walk 5 minutes without crossing paths with the random LL Bean outfitted groups of 5-8 guys with 4 dogs among them. Whistles, bells, boredom shots... so I decided to pass this year. However, if someone invited me on an all-expenses paid trip to Ohio, I wouldn't trun 'em down:)
It's better on the water.
Cigarz
hunter

Postby rickbr » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:26 pm

NHDuckHunter wrote:
rickbr wrote: Had a few geese fly overhead and got a shot off but couldn't connect.

I .

I hope you were pheasant hunting with non-tox. :lol3:

All I shoot is steel. Just in case of this very situation.
rickbr
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting