Let's make good choices gang!

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Let's make good choices gang!

Postby SaucinJD » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:30 pm

Don't shoot the hens.

No sky blasting.

Keep it civil.
SaucinJD
hunter

Re: Let's make good choices gang!

Postby JustinNH » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:46 pm

I think we can all agree on the last two.

As for the hens... The forum has been through this one before and anyone who has been around knows where I stand.
If a pair comes in, I would always try for the drake first. But on a slower day, I will never be choosy and will NEVER look down upon someone else legally shooting a hen.

You would have to have some very productive days to make any impact by shooting hens and if you are having those kinds of days... there should be no reason to even shoot a hen!

**Keep in mind I average 30 ducks a season (yeah, big deal) and do more than my fair share of crow/predator hunting and trapping coons, skunks, possums... many of which are near confirmed and potential waterfowl breeding sites.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby DucksnDeer76 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:59 pm

It has been shown by scientific research that shooting hens over drakes does not a have a noticeable effect on duck populations. The limiting factor on duck population growth has and will always be the amount of water available on the nesting grounds. If shooting hens is so negative, why is it that other species with no hen restrictions such as wood ducks and teal continue to increase in population? This whole idea of shooting drakes is an old idea with very little basis in science. Either way, do what you think is right. As far as I'm concerned, a hen mallard breast looks the same as a drake when it is on my plate.

Be safe and good luck.
DucksnDeer76
hunter

Postby SaucinJD » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:43 am

Excellent points regarding habitat and climate change from year to year. The shooting of hen populations accounts for a relatively small percentage of overall population change for any species of duck. Individually, I might take a total of 10 birds this year. I think the main point to consider is that collectively we can make a greater impact if we merely choose to not take as many birds, either by choosing to shoot certain species, genders or take better shots.
SaucinJD
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting