Non-Tox for woodcock in NH?

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Non-Tox for woodcock in NH?

Postby Ithaca33 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:56 am

Hey all,

I unfortunately do not live in your great state but thanks to my inlaws living here, I get to hunt in Grafton county a few times a year. In fact we are up here for the first week of small game/ducks. So far Britt shot her first bird ( a rooster pheasant) and my Drahthaar pup has had a mess of firsts!!! The Lady and I plan on moving up this way from CT as soon as we finish our degrees but in the mean time, I have seen a fair number of woodcock this week and have passed on shooting them because I was unsure of the requirement for using nontoxic shot.

After scouring the F&G website I can't find mention of it anywhere so I was hoping one of you may know the answer. Normally I would just use steel for grouse as well and not worry about it but I enjoy hunting with older guns and don't feel comfortable shooting steel. The "Vintage gun safe" non-tox is sickeningly expensive so if I do not need to use it I'd prefer not to.

Thanks much and I hope your season is starting off well,

Pat
Ithaca33
hunter

Re: Non-Tox for woodcock in NH?

Postby JustinNH » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:06 am

Lead is fine for woodcock. Lot of people get them while grouse or pheasant hunting with lead shot. :thumbsup:
Some day I hope to be included in 'lots of people' :lol3:

Good luck!
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby Ithaca33 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:23 am

That's great thanks for the clarification!!

Britt doesn't believe that Grouse are real lol in two years she's never seen one, just heard them flush. Yesterday my pup busted 2 (He's only holding points for 5ish seconds at the moment) and I flushed one out of a tree but we never connected. Tonight we're going to try for some ducks.

We had one of those comical hunting mornings where everything goes wrong and all you can do is laugh at yourselves.

She left her license in a different coat so her gun stayed in the car, she was handling the pup who was going nuts after spending the last 2 days pheasant and grouse hunting. He was pulling so badly i unloaded and handed her my gun so i could get him back under control and as I am dealing with him 6 teal and a pair of blacks fly directly over our heads about 20 yards up.....never saw another duck lol

hopefuly this evening is better :lol:
Ithaca33
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:34 am

Oh yeah, we've all had those kind of days! I know that i've had more than my share

Good luck this evening.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby duck envy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:41 pm

In case you're like me and prefer to have something in writing to refer to...

Page 31 of the 2012 hunting regs book (either online or hard copy) states it in black and white. Non toxic shot is only required for "waterfowl".

Grouse, pheasant, woodcock and snipe do not qualify as waterfowl, so lead shot is okay for them.

However, keep in mind that woodcock and snipe legal hunting hours end at sunset (same as waterfowl - unlike pheasant and partridge).

Shoot 'em up and have fun!
duck envy
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting