Special Columbus Day Hunt

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Special Columbus Day Hunt

Postby Benny8 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:45 am

Today turned out to be a special hunt. With the exception of the mojo, all the decoys used were all made by myself. Half a dozen fullbody geese, and a dozen full body mallards. Morning started off with woodies as usual. They buzzed by the decoys and by the time you could see them against the backdrop, they were by you. Then 4 mallards came on a line to the decoys. Kwacker called the shot a little late and the birds zinged by. He was upset at himself, but i told him no worries. Then the geese came in and worked awesome. Three broke off the flock and cupped in. We each took one. Then a lone black made a fateful decision to check us out and I collected him. My bro called to see how we were doing and while sitting up talking with him a drake mallard commited to the dekes and Kwacker smacked him. Kwacker had to leave for work and while he was loading his truck a small flock of woodies circled the spread and I took one of them. Just before I was leaving a lone goose appearred over the trees. This was awesome to watch. I clucked a few times and his wings were set. I watched thru my powerhunter as he glided over the top of me looking all over for the other geese. When he caught sight of the fakes he banked hard right and floated down into the dekes. With his feet stretching out to touch down, I planted him with a load of hevi metal. What an awesome morning hunting over decoys I made and having a dog I trained retrieve them.
Benny8
hunter

Re: Special Columbus Day Hunt

Postby JustinNH » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:23 pm

Nice work :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Looks like your off to a good start!
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby HeritageHunter » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:09 pm

Great pics and post...Dog in the back has the "What about me" look going on! :lol3:
Keep the tradition alive and take a kid hunting!!!!

Honor our soldiers. Their sacrifice has given us our freedom.
HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Postby deertoducks » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:17 pm

well done :thumbsup:
deertoducks
hunter

Postby poor_duck » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:49 pm

good job!!! :thumbsup:
poor_duck
hunter