Where'd the ducks ride out the storm?

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: Ross R, JustinNH

Where'd the ducks ride out the storm?

Postby NHDuckHunter » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:02 am

It probably goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway- Be careful out there guys over the next week+. The water is high and really raging right now around me. I went out yesterday and came around the corner in the kayak and was swept right in to a brand new waterfall. :no: It wasn't too bad, but it reminded me how with all this new water, and wood in the rivers how much they change overnight. Be safe, go slow and wear your PFD's.

Its been overall slow for me all year anyway, but yesterday was pretty surprising- I had two ducks fly in to the decoys as I was unloading a minute after legal shooting time ended. Otherwise, I had nothing in the sky all day.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Re: Where'd the ducks ride out the storm?

Postby JustinNH » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:09 am

Well said. Always best to play it safe

Been a slow season for me too. Sunday was the worst day yet... not one duck came by, but I did see a mink which was cool to watch slink around on the edge of the water. I finally got a grouse Saturday, but even upland hunting has been slow. Guess I used up all my luck metal detecting.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby NHDuckHunter » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:34 am

JustinNH wrote:Well said. Always best to play it safe

Been a slow season for me too. Sunday was the worst day yet... not one duck came by, but I did see a mink which was cool to watch slink around on the edge of the water. I finally got a grouse Saturday, but even upland hunting has been slow. Guess I used up all my luck metal detecting.

I literally never even picked my gun up on Saturday. Loaded it, put it on the gun rest, and it sat there all day.
Had my son out with me, I thought with the lack of birds he'd get bored quick, but I was super impressed to see him not make a single complaint all day. At 10:45 I finally called it quits and he seemed disappointed we had to leave. :smile:
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:39 am

That is good to hear about your son, certainly a good trait for a future hunter :thumbsup:

With that being said, you lasted longer out there than I did! hahah
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby HeritageHunter » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:40 am

Been hit or miss all season. One day they are there the next they are gone.
Keep the tradition alive and take a kid hunting!!!!

Honor our soldiers. Their sacrifice has given us our freedom.
HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Postby Joser06 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:45 pm

Glad to hear you didn't get hurt. I think it is going to be hard to get the birds for a bit with all of this extra water, unless some new birds show up soon....
Joser06
hunter

Postby goosebuster11 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:26 am

The day after the storm My buddy and I did really well in our new "honey hole". Got 6 mallards between the two of us. Other than that jumped a few spots yesterday and got a green head, black duck, and a goose, but the birds definitely have been moving to new spots with all the new water. I was wondering, are the birds that I have been seeing still the same birds that have been around all season, or are these migrating birds? and when does the migration really start to swing"?
goosebuster11
hunter

Postby rjbadfish » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:44 pm

I had a couple real good days during and after the storm. Found good sized flocks of Geese, Mallards and Blacks very eager to decoy. I am hopeful that the upcoming storm has the same effect. I like keeping the pooch busy...

Ray Jackson

Have you noticed that common sense is not as common as it used to be???
rjbadfish
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:17 pm

Nice work Ray :thumbsup:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting