Looking For Guidance

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Looking For Guidance

Postby sjcme » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:15 pm

So I just graduated college and I am only a couple years into waterfowl hunting and I completely love it. I do my best to make sure my weekends are free in order to get in the outdoors and get some hunting in (even at the cost of time with my gf...) I went to school in maine and have done most of my hunting there with my friends who live there. Since being back home in NH I have been working my but off trying to find spots that I can manage on my own because all my friends who hunt live in maine. I have had no luck whatsoever finding a decent spot to hunt out of or coax one of my friends to take up hunting with me so I can atleast have someone to bounce ideas off of. I feel like I have exhausted all of my resources trying to find atleast one spot or a friend to go along. I have even gone so far as to find myself talking with a fish and game officer about a particular spot I wanted to hunt (he told me it wasnt allowed) basically I am at the end of my rope and I am turing to the last place I know that would be able to steer a young fellow like me atleast in the right direction, maybe even show me a rope or two personally.

anything will be much appreciated.
sjcme
hunter

Re: Looking For Guidance

Postby HeritageHunter » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:17 am

To be honest it sounds like you are doing all the right things. Give it time and you will find some honey holes.

Are you sea duck hunting or puddle duck hunting?
Keep the tradition alive and take a kid hunting!!!!

Honor our soldiers. Their sacrifice has given us our freedom.
HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Postby sjcme » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:36 am

Im puddle hunting. I just hope I dont go through a whole season without really accomplishing anything then having to wait a whole year
sjcme
hunter

Postby sjcme » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:38 am

I guess part of it is finding someone who will take me along side a bit and show me a thing or two aswell
sjcme
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:31 am

Where are you located?
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby sjcme » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:12 am

Portsmouth area
sjcme
hunter

Postby sjcme » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:06 pm

willing to travel for help tho
sjcme
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:26 pm

You live in Portsmouth and you can't find ducks? Look just East. :lol3: :lol3:

The bit of advice I usually give is drive areas where you can get in to hunt. Drive the back roads and look for water, any water. Best thing to find is a little brook trickling, then follow it out in the woods and with any luck you'll find a beaver pond. Best places I know of.
Also, if you are looking for some gear, I saw some lunatic was basically giving away a bunch of good stuff in the NH classifieds. I think he said he'd give a discount to a young guy or college kid starting out.

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=67858
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:35 am

:welcome: to the forum!

NH Duckhunter has some good advice, on all accounts :thumbsup:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby Benny8 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:04 am

NHDuckHunter wrote:You live in Portsmouth and you can't find ducks? Look just East. :lol3: :lol3:

The bit of advice I usually give is drive areas where you can get in to hunt. Drive the back roads and look for water, any water. Best thing to find is a little brook trickling, then follow it out in the woods and with any luck you'll find a beaver pond. Best places I know of.
Also, if you are looking for some gear, I saw some lunatic was basically giving away a bunch of good stuff in the NH classifieds. I think he said he'd give a discount to a young guy or college kid starting out.

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=67858

To add to what NHDuckHunter wrote, use google earth as well when you find these small streams. You can get an arial view using google earth. It can also save you some gas as well. Find a promising spot on GE and then you can drive out and scout it. Good luck with the rest of your season.
Benny8
hunter

Postby killnkyle » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:46 am

Don't waste a whole year either...scout all year long! There may not be ducks in there in the winter but a friend of mine took me to a place where he ice fishes last winter and it looked like it might be a good duck hole. I went in there late summer time and scouted it out. I hunted it twice this year and nabbed ten ducks. Just keep your eyes open and ducks on the brain and you'll find some good spots!
When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first.
Ernest Hemingway
killnkyle
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:22 am

My only issue with google earth is I don't know how up to date it is. Also, obviously, it doesn't show changes in water levels. Things that look like grassy fields on the computer can actually be flooded now. Also, its hard to see flooded timber if its locked up tight from the canopy.
Really, there is no replacement for boots in the dirt. The one thing I like about Google is it can show you locations of houses, of course same thing, there could be another house built since the picture was taken.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby Benny8 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:41 am

NHDuckHunter wrote:My only issue with google earth is I don't know how up to date it is. Also, obviously, it doesn't show changes in water levels. Things that look like grassy fields on the computer can actually be flooded now. Also, its hard to see flooded timber if its locked up tight from the canopy.
Really, there is no replacement for boots in the dirt. The one thing I like about Google is it can show you locations of houses, of course same thing, there could be another house built since the picture was taken.

Google earth is up to date within the last year. Of course things can change fast. However, there is a history feature that lets you see the same area at different times over the course of the last 20 years. There may be pics of it in the spring, summer, winter, and fall. I agree that there is no better way than ground pounding, but with this app, it may give you a starting point.
Benny8
hunter

Postby HeritageHunter » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:31 am

In the lower left hand corner on Google Earth it tells you when the photo was taken. As Benny8 said it also has a feature you can go back and look at past photos.
Keep the tradition alive and take a kid hunting!!!!

Honor our soldiers. Their sacrifice has given us our freedom.
HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Postby NHDuckHunter » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:30 am

Whoa! Is that a new feature? I've never noticed that before. Thats pretty cool. Go back and look first week of november and see how much orange you can see in the woods. :lol3:
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby cambrandt » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:35 am

Get yourself to the nearest Ducks Unlimited banquet. Might not be in time to help you this year but it's a great way to "network" with other duck hunters. I think the Boars Head Chapter is the one you want up your way.
cambrandt
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting