4 days into the 2nd half

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

4 days into the 2nd half

Postby nhshotgunner » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:10 am

Where are the reports of how it is going, where are the pictures of success. I am finding it very slow near Little Bay. Yesterday we shot some geese and ducks while field hunting inland but I am hearing more shooting from deer hunters than waterfowlers. Are you finding things to be slow?
nhshotgunner
hunter

Re: 4 days into the 2nd half

Postby NHDuckHunter » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:39 am

4 guys, 4 days, 4 ducks.... thats pretty slow.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby Benny8 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:40 am

Slow for our group here(3 of us)-5 geese and 2 ducks. Hope things pick up soon.
Benny8
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:44 am

Hit a swamp Thanksgiving... 0 birds. Took my gun off safety once but they were just a bit too far (ring necks).
Hit a river today... I'll post pics in a min. 2 limits :thumbsup:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby duck envy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:57 pm

Only made it out Thanksgiving morning for a few hours, so far. We managed five mallards in hand and lost one that the current swept away from the dog. We ran downriver with the boat, but could not locate it. Didn't see a lot of birds though. Still seems sorta slow.
Going out in the morning to a different spot to give it a whirl.
duck envy
hunter

Postby duck envy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:51 pm

Went out this morning with my cousins kid. First birds to show were black ducks - about 15 of them. We each took one. A hen and a drake. Then four mallards came in but wouldnt commit. They landed and stayed a couple hundred yards away. Eventually they took off. Five more black ducks came in and landed in the decoys. Didnt take long for them to realize something was wrong and they headed out. Two divers zipped around our setup but didnt come in range. Then a mallard pair dropped in from over the treeline right to the decoys. I dropped the drake and swung onto the hen. She was moving for the tree tops and I missed her. (Had been slow for a while so I account this pair to the fact the kid had hiked into the woods to "take care of business". He wasnt impressed... especially when he saw the drake was banded. Haha). Sat another hour with no action so decided to pick up. Just as we stood up four mallards took off that were just starting to swim in from around the bend. I assume same four we had seen earlier. It was funny that the blacks all commited to the decoys and the mallards were keeping their distance. Usually just the opposite. So only three ducks in the bag but a fun morning. Wind wasnt too bad tucked away in the cove like we were. So it was quite comfy.
duck envy
hunter

Postby poor_duck » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:26 am

this season been the same to me ducks everywhere got 4 bands so far and the teal still around shot drake green winged teal yesterday
Attachments
12.jpg
12.jpg (21.46 KiB) Viewed 738 times
poor_duck
hunter

Postby nhshotgunner » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:42 pm

poor_duck wrote:this season been the same to me ducks everywhere got 4 bands so far and the teal still around shot drake green winged teal yesterday

My question was concerning the area around Great and Little Bay I am assuming your success has been in the inland.
nhshotgunner
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting