What the heck?

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

What the heck?

Postby NHDuckHunter » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:22 pm

:no:
Last edited by NHDuckHunter on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Re: What the heck?

Postby Joser06 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:56 pm

Great looking birds. I haven't seen a woodie in at least a month.
Joser06
hunter

Postby duck envy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:20 pm

Congrats.

I haven't seen a wood duck since October, either. Nice.

Wonder how many internet hunters will be driving around (edited by mod) this weekend looking for ducks...

There's plenty in the state. Not getting a ton, but certainly been getting some consistent shooting. They seem to be in small pockets and getting smaller now that the ice is pushing in.
duck envy
hunter

Postby poor_duck » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:47 am

good job!!! :thumbsup:
poor_duck
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:04 am

Nice work on the ducks and geese. :thumbsup:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby kwacker » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:10 pm

-removed by mod.

From Justin:
I have removed the town name in the original post. Sorry, guilty of only looking at pics prior and did not see it...

To anyone- please PM me or Ross if something in a post is too specific to where you hunt and there is an issue. I know some towns may have many spots to hunt and others just one and I have no way to know how specific anyone is being, so if thereis ever an issue, let's please leave the town out of it.

Congrats on the ducks and geese-- those 2 days are about as much as my season so far
kwacker
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:21 pm

well since the cat is out of the bag about the "west side" I might as well post up a few from this year...

Nice Job NHDuck :thumbsup: I have only hunted one day since the split opened (today) so I am glad to see you did well! its good to know that others beside myself have been seeing birds in these parts. Often the second half isn't so great.
I hunt quite a bit by myself so its hard to put up stacks of geese when the limit is 2 but the first part of the season has been good to me.
Last edited by HuntsCTRiver on Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:38 pm

Nice work :thumbsup:

You been out for crows at all CTRiver?
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:50 pm

yeah been dropping the hammer on the crows. wish the season was still open.

HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby duck envy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:42 am

Nice shooting! :thumbsup:
duck envy
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:27 am

I didn't even say what town I was in, I just mentioned that the team from "town edited due to people being overly dramatic" were killing more ducks then anyone on the East side of the state. Then I said I drove in that direction. You people are WAY overly dramatic. Nobody takes down a post when someone says they were hunting Great Bay. whats bigger, Great Bay or "Town removed due to over whining"?
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:48 am

NHDuckHunter wrote:I didn't even say what town I was in, I just mentioned that the team from "town edited due to people being overly dramatic" were killing more ducks then anyone on the East side of the state. Then I said I drove in that direction. You people are WAY overly dramatic. Nobody takes down a post when someone says they were hunting Great Bay. whats bigger, Great Bay or "Town removed due to over whining"?

I understand what you are saying, but Great Bay is very large with many hunting spots on it and many ramps on it all of which is commonly known.

I do not know anything about the town mentioned. Could only have one spot, could have many as well. Even if you were not there, I would prefer less specifics please.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby NHDuckHunter » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:16 am

So you are just assuming there is more places to hunt on Great Bay, so that maks it okay to mention?

Won't have a problem again, I apologize, I took care of it.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:49 am

NHDuckHunter wrote:So you are just assuming there is more places to hunt on Great Bay, so that maks it okay to mention?

Won't have a problem again, I apologize, I took care of it.

Apples and oranges.

Several members (including some that almost never post) have asked it be removed, so I did. If no one had an issue with it, I would have left it up because, like I said earlier, for all I know there could be 100 perfect spots there.

And yes, Great Bay is a well known general spot. Many forums talk about it (11 pages of posts come up here when using it in a search and I am sure it is similar on the fuge). Many web sites mention it. Individual locations in it are obviously a different story. Fish and Game officers have recommended it to me in passing and some have asked if I ever go/have any luck there.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby duck envy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:29 pm

Haha. Speaking of F&G officers. I've found they are some of the worst ones for burning peoples hunting spots. They think they are being helpful when they tell some hunter "oh yeah, I just sealed a bear for a guy that shot it at x, y or z cornfield and he said he saw several bear before shooting this one". They don't think about the fact they just burned it for the guy who originally scouted it. Next thing you know, twenty people are hunting the spot you use to only share with two or three hunters. I am very vague with what I tell F&G now.

I don't hunt the town that was originally posted here... but I wouldn't like it if someone posted the towns I do hunt in a post saying how great the hunting is. It wouldn't take many new hunters showing up to some of my areas to over-run the place as there are only a few huntable spots in each town. No one likes being crowded out of the areas they worked hard to find. Maybe its different in the town you hunted (and yes you originally named a specific town) and maybe there are a ton of places to hunt.I don't know. But out of respect to others that may hunt that town as their primary location it seems best to not name it.

If I hunted Great Bay, I would not name it in an internet post. I no longer even name the river or lake I hunt. It doesn't matter. All it does is draw in more hunters. Supposedly there are less hunters now-a-days, but it sure seems that the waterfowl spots are getting mighty crowded. Last couple years I had several places that only I hunted. Not sure if I told the wrong people about my spots or what, but I was crowded out of each of those spots this year. My first hunt this year, I had some jerk walk along the edge of the swamp/pond and shoot their shotgun to scare the ducks off. They weren't shooting AT ducks, they were just scaring them away so I couldn't have a chance of shooting any as they moved off the roost end and into feeding areas. Few days later, I found my little john boat that I have left hidden at this spot for three years had been beat with something to put several holes in its bottom. Sad part is the tracks around it sure looked like wader boot tracks. So I believe it was another hunter that did this.
Also found three people I took last year to other, not so secret, spots - now hunting them every weekend with other friends of theirs. Not just hunting the same water body, but hunting the exact spot I took them.

The spots I've been hunting the last two weeks are all new spots I had to scout and learn this year. One of them, it appears, I am the only one duck hunting there. Hoping it stays that way... :yes:

After my experiences this year, I am very hesitant to help anyone I haven't met in person. Its pointless when I keep getting burned.

So, maybe it seems that some of us are paranoid about spot burning... but I do believe we have a right to be concerned.
duck envy
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:25 pm

Unbelievable that someone put holes in your boat... never mind that it could have been another hunter. :mad:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby duck envy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:52 pm

Luckily, it was free when I got it.

I have the feeling that the person doing the shooting to scare the ducks away and the one to ruin my boat were the same person. Same size/style boot tracks both times.

I had no proof.

I ended up hunting it three afternoons in a row after finding my boat ruined - and shot every time I saw ducks come in. By the third day, no ducks came in prior to dark. I went back one afternoon each week for a couple weeks after and there were still no ducks using the waters. They wanted the spot to themselves... they have it. I hope that "hunter" never got another shot at a duck. :hammer:

Had they just talked to me, we could have hunted together or I could have told them I usually only go there once a week and only mid-week. But no, they had to try to scare me off "their" spot. People.
duck envy
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:59 pm

JustinNH wrote:

Apples and oranges.

Several members (including some that almost never post) have asked it be removed, so I did. If no one had an issue with it, I would have left it up because, like I said earlier, for all I know there could be 100 perfect spots there.

And yes, Great Bay is a well known general spot. Many forums talk about it (11 pages of posts come up here when using it in a search and I am sure it is similar on the fuge). Many web sites mention it. Individual locations in it are obviously a different story. Fish and Game officers have recommended it to me in passing and some have asked if I ever go/have any luck there.

Stupid of you to aquiesce the guys that never post, screw them. :lol3: Well, a quick google search would have shown you that (oops) borders the CT river, I am pretty sure that is just as well known as Great Bay. :fingerhead:
Last edited by JustinNH on Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby kwacker » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:50 pm

That google search is almost as well know as you being the bigest butt on this site.
kwacker
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:18 pm

Alright, this isn't going anywhere. :no:

If you honestly believe listing a specific town on a well known River is no different than the massive river itself, then that is fantastic for you- but I will not have that here.

If anyone wants to discuss this further, feel free to PM me, but this topic is now locked. Any future posts negatively reflecting back on this topic will be deleted.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting