Tips for a New Guy!?

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Tips for a New Guy!?

Postby JordanMorelli » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:14 am

Hey Guys,

Like I said in my last post I am new to the forum and new to duck hunting!

I really enjoy being out there and I have only taken 2 Wood Ducks (a drake and a hen) in a little pond by my house.

I have decoys and a call, and kayaks.

I am just wondering if there are any tips for inland hunting and possibly coastal!

I am struggling down on the coast...the birds always seem to flare!

I NEED SOME HELP!!! hahah

Thanks!
JordanMorelli
hunter

Re: Tips for a New Guy!?

Postby JustinNH » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:54 am

Only one weekend left of inland and personally for me, it has been horrible.

If anything, I'd welcome tips myself right now!
Worst inland season since I have started to duck hunt. Even last year when people said that the season was slow I did not think it was too bad.

So don't be discouraged with only 2 ducks so far :thumbsup:

Divers are here. They hang out in the open a lot, feeding, so they are a lot easier to scout for than puddle ducks that may hide in the shoreline or channels. Check out big bodies of water, especially if there is a point you can set up on or a place where the ducks travel that is narrow.

As for the coastal ducks flaring, depending on where you are hunting, many coastal spots get hit hard on the weekends and even have pressure during the week. Each time I have been there, even in poor weather, there have been no less than 4-5 other groups out there based on shot sounds.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby JordanMorelli » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:03 pm

I have a buddy who I hunt with and we got a hold of a small rowboat so we are going to camo it out and build a blind for it!

Hopefully it will help us on the coastal zone! I have been hunting in durham and it seems to be an extremely well know hunting area with a ton of people so maybe the boat will allow us to reach various spots!

But thanks for the responses JustinNH, I really appreciate it!!!
JordanMorelli
hunter

Postby capt1972 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:43 pm

Ducks flaring on the coast is normal, they are black ducks and they always flare!
capt1972
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:03 am

capt1972 wrote:Ducks flaring on the coast is normal, they are black ducks and they always flare!

Scouting mid-season I have seen black ducks flare while going to land with other blacks. :lol3:

Bunch of snobs is what they are hahaha
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby huntnh » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:13 am

Scouting coastal can be tricky because tide matters just as much as time of day and wind/weather conditions. Birds like to hang out different places during different tides. The coast does get pound late season so it can be hard to get birds to commit to your decoys just have to keep trying different spread with changing up your call styles till you find something that works.
huntnh
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:30 pm

Ducks that flare at the coast are going to flare inland too.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:55 am

with that little boat you will gain significant access to great places.....hunt the tide.....a flood tide will let you get in under trees and in the shadows of the bank....no need for a blind (especially this late in the year - save the project work for the summer)....just get it browned or drabbed out....I took my little 12 footer out yesterday, set up in a flood cove a little before noon and had mallards and blacks landing in my set for two hours before the water level dropped so I had to leave....just tied off to a couple trees under some boughs with the sun behind the banking.....I fully endorse 'little' craft and canoes as being the most versatile tools for the waterfowler!!! You are on a good path to success.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby JordanMorelli » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:10 pm

Thanks DUKHTR!

We are just working on getting a small out board now!

Hopefully will have it all set up for next season!
JordanMorelli
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting