NH Update - weekend of 12/26

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: Ross R, JustinNH

NH Update - weekend of 12/26

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:34 am

Worst weekend of hunting all season - not one bird bagged - no shots fired. Birds are high and not many around with the good weather. Yesterday was the most bluebird of bluebird days. The Bay was 'glass' and the few birds we did see were very high and not 'workable'. Had a couple of seals on the rocks getting suntanned! Only a couple other boats out and only heard one shot all afternoon. 55 degree sunny weather with no wind - not a waterfowler's dream!

Friday it was a good tide at dawn and then dropped to mud but came back in with a snow squall. Saw a few birds, mostly high, but had one lock into the dekes, cup his wings, passed over the decoys and then swung around to land outside (probably giving me the finger!). Should've taken him on the pass by!!! My bad!

Will be out over the New Year's break - looking for some more seasonable temperatures!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckincrazy » Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:59 pm

Seeing seals while duck hunting... I can't even begin to imagine.
duckincrazy
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:46 am

That's right - two were layed out on some rocks at low tide basking in the sun! Actually, we see them quite often, poking their heads up and being curious about the decoys.

I think it was four years ago when I lost an eider to a seal not more than twenty yards from the boat.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dogman » Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:10 am

I've heard guys tell of losing dogs to seals,seems the male seals are territorial and will attack a dog sometimes.I've also heard tales of seals stealing downed birds as you say DUKHTR,haven't had the experience yet and hope I never do.Although I've never had a bad situation with seals I keep my dog in if I see them,hate the though of a seal going after my lab.Have you ever had them bother a dog before?
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:55 pm

I try to be safe too. Woody went after a beaver once and I thought I was going to have a 'situation'. Fortunately I was able to get him under control before it got of of hand.

Only other problem that I can recall is with another hunter's dog that was aggressive and wouldn't be called off. I was ready to discharge the shotgun to break him off mine, but we handled it with collars. This happened in the back of MY Bronco in a WMA parking lot! I was all over the guy who was more interested in getting out of there than saying he was sorry.

I usually take the conservative posture .....better safe than sorry.

I'll bet there are a few more bizare stories like this - let's have 'em folks!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dogman » Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:14 pm

Here's one for ya,I was hunting the cornfield in Alfred with a couple of other guys and thier dogs.My lab is male the other labs are a male and female.My dog and the other male don't seem to care for each others company and just as we picked up and were ready to leave all hell breaks out between the two.When we pulled them apart I notice a big white object sticking out of my dogs head!A close look shows that it is the other dogs front upper canine :shock: .I pulled it out and was relieved to see that it only penetrated the skin and left a small hole about 1/4 " across.Didn't even need stitches,no bleeding ,no discomfort for Solo at all.The tooth had no connective tissue or sinews on it at all,must have been ready to come out on its own.In fact we took my lab to another spot and he retrieved ducks for us while the other dog got put up for the day.By the way there's a pic of him in the new photo album, any good pics of your dog?Post em up.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:27 am

Great shot Mike - Solo is a handsome dog!

I just got a digital camera - still figuring it out - will try to post some of the shots of my dogs as soon as I can.

I know that next season I will have lot's of pictures to share!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting