New to hunting in NH

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: Ross R, JustinNH

New to hunting in NH

Postby sopdan » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:43 am

Hey all, I've been in NH for just over a year now, but I never got to do any hunting last fall (waterfowl or otherwise). I moved here from Michigan, where I would go hunting on a regular basis with my dad, and where I knew where to go for decent duck hunting (though I probably haven't gone out for waterfowl since 2000).

About me: I'm in Nashua, have waders, and I have a small 14' canoe (only want to go on relatively small bodies of water, no Great Bay, etc.). I also plan on buying a few decoys (a dozen at most probably).

Here are some of my questions:

Are the WMAs any good during the season, or are they full of people? I drove up to Perkins Pond and Farrar Marsh yesterday to scope the areas out, and plan on checking out the one in Londonderry soon.

Are there any other decent public lands in the southern part of the state to check out?

Any good areas to try jumping ducks without having to scale a couple of mountains?

Does anyone know where I can find information on the Russell-Abbott state forest? I was out there a few times this summer and it seemed like it might be a good spot, and a little out of the way for a lot of people.

I'm sure there are other questions I've forgotten, but those are a good start. :smile:

Please note that I'm not looking for your secret spots or anything like that, I'm just trying to get familiar with what's around.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Another note, I'll be hunting more in the middle of the week so hopefully the number of hunters out will be much less than the weekend.
sopdan
Newb

Postby sopdan » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:31 am

One more question!

I've got a Hunter Safety certificate from MI, but not NH. Is this valid in NH, or would I have to go through a NH class? The info on the Fish & Game website doesn't address that issue.

I know a lot of states will honor hunter safety certs. from other states.
sopdan
Newb

Postby DUKHTR » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:02 pm

:welcome:

Glad to have you with us at DHC! Keep watching for are/region events, such as the Maine gathering/shoot in April.

First the easy reply.....your Mich license and hunters' saftey cert is 'good' in NH for purchasing you hunting permits (or any other state for that matter!).

The tough part is referencing hunting locations. I come from Dover before moving to Maine, so I had little exposure to areas west and south (I know the Bays and the coastline).....but you may wish to look into hunting the CT River (always wanted to spend a week hunting it, but only managed a couple day trips)....ALOT of geese concentrated and the ducks are there too......in all my hunting in NH, I only spent a couple outings at WMA's......usually only when out for pheasant, otherwise I was on my own.....there are ton of 'local' ponds, streams and wet-spots......get on-line or review the topos in the Gazeteer which you will find to be the best resource you can get.

Good luck with your searches........and keep us updated on your progress.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mike M. » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:12 pm

I don't hunt in NH but I am pretty sure you can hunt the Merrimack River in your area.
Mike M.
hunter

ct river

Postby fatboto » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:27 pm

Hi i live on the connicuit river 50 miles from you or so hunting is ok at times. im sure you can find place to hunt with a little scouting
fatboto
hunter

Postby Ross R » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:16 pm

hey, i was just wondering how old you were and stuff? do you hunt geese, or ducks if you want to talk about this more in depth you could shoot me a pm?? i would be happy to help you out, me and some of my buddys have some spots i would be willing to share and maybe we could hook up for a hunt or two??
Ross R
Forum & State Moderator

Postby kfran1234 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:23 pm

Hi Ross. Great to hear from some more NH duckers. Not a lot of activity on the NH board as you've probably seen.
kfran1234
hunter

Postby Ross R » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:48 pm

Kfran. hey at least there is activity, on other websights that i frequent there is no new hampshire activity, there arent many nh waterfowlers it seems, not like out west or down south, but they have more ducks than we do.

Where do you hunt?? public land?? geese ducks? whatever you can get? lets get some discussion going on this board i would love to get some help and give some!!!
Ross R
Forum & State Moderator

Postby kfran1234 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:52 pm

I sent you a pm. I've hunted deer and grouse/pheasant since I was a kid but started really duck hunting last year and love it. I hunt mainly in Kingston on the Powwow River. Always looking for new areas, especially in the coastal zone.
kfran1234
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting