Trailer lights

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: Ross R, JustinNH

Trailer lights

Postby kwacker » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:36 am

I just put together a new trailer for hauling my decoys & after I got the lights all hooked up I am only getting brake & directional lights to work, no running lights. I am not electrical savvy, so I am hoping that it is something simple, anybody got any ideas what I might have messed up. Also, I have a 2013 F-150 and was wondering if the fuse for the trailer light is a 1 fuse or seperate fuses for brake & running lights. Sorry for what might seem like simple questions to some but I am just not a electrical guy.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
kwacker
hunter

Re: Trailer lights

Postby Woodsy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:50 pm

One question I would ask is did you tie it into a flat 4 prong plug or a 7 flat big trailer plug. I know that a lot of times on the big 7 flat plugs the wiring schematic is not always correct. Especially when mating it to fords. Yes I believe the trailer running lights are on their own fuse but I would doubt it would blow on such a new truck unless a wire was crossed. Bought a great little 4 flat light tester for trucks last year. Think it was wally world like five bucks plugs into your truck and lights up to show if the truck side is working properly. Other than that one thing I have had a problem with is my ground. Make sure it is to good clean metal. I know it isn't much to work with but without seeing it and how its wired tough saying. Good luck..... woodsy
Woodsy
hunter

Re: Trailer lights

Postby kwacker » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:25 pm

Thanks Woodsy,
I have a 4 prong hookup and I am going out to check my fuse and to buy a tester which might give me a quick answer. My ground is on a good section of bare metal so I'm thinking that I am good there. I'll let you how things go.
Thanks again for your advice it is greatly appreciated.
kwacker
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting