On the salt, finally

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

On the salt, finally

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:15 pm

Well I made it out on the "pond' yesterday morning....had a good mixed bag of all three scoter, a couple OS and a few eider.

What a super day to 'relax'....kinduv warm, flat seas, my friend's son had his first seaduck outing and scored well on the scoter....just a good day all around.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ross R » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:06 pm

nice! post up some pics if you can!!! i love those sea ducks and really want to hunt them! i just need a boat now.
Ross R
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:31 am

was planning to be out on Sunday....but last night's planning board meeting changed the plan ---- they scheduled a site walk for 8:30 ! They are so clueless to the life of a waterfowler :hammering:
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ross R » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:30 pm

thats why i love college i schedule my classes around the geese!!! you might be able to get a shoot in before?? Try and get some pics if you get to go i love to see some sea ducks!!! good luck and be safe, and oh yeah Knock 'em down
Ross R
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jgguppyboy2 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:54 pm

hey guys brand new to the site! heres a few pics from this year! its been a good year so far!

~Stefan~

on the water or in the woods. its the only place to be!
jgguppyboy2
Newb

Postby Ross R » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:31 pm

those mergansers look delicious! those are some great pictures! what part of the state do you hunt??
Ross R
Forum & State Moderator

Postby sculling Oar » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:31 pm

Any one been down to the bay??
just wondering if the geese are there yet, waiting for the scullers to attack :hammering: :hammering:
sculling Oar
hunter

Postby jgguppyboy2 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:26 pm

They are mostly from central nh just south of the lakes region! Its been a fun year! I might try and get out one more time thursday on the merrimack. Depends on if there is any fishable ice by then or not!
on the water or in the woods. its the only place to be!
jgguppyboy2
Newb

Postby Cub » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:39 pm

Sculling Oar,We hunted the bay on sat.Alot of Black Ducks around.Some honkers.Sat for the afternoon for one black,But had alot of fun just working them with dkhtr.Atleast when they are coming in like you have them on a fishing pole you know you are doing something right.
Cub
hunter

Postby sculling Oar » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:57 pm

Thanks Cub
I just can't sit all day. I tried it up to camp a number of times and all I got was hi flyers I know some thing was wrong ?? so i got out the sculling float and in 2 sculls and 6 shots i had 4 mallards. i just can't sit and Mallards are easy for me to get I tried a small flock of long necks but came up short. Next time me and the BIG TEN, and they WILL be in the float.
sculling Oar
hunter

Postby Ross R » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:04 pm

hey i have a quick question.... this may seem dumb to some but i dont know what a scull is or how you guys hunt from them?? any insight would be helpfull. i am just looking to extend my waterfowling knowledge
Ross R
Forum & State Moderator

Postby sculling Oar » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:33 pm

Mine ia a Peter Witham sculling float . I can't sit still all day like some, so I got myself a sculling float. It is powered by a single sculling oar out the back of the float. It moves at a very slow pace but when done correctley it is VERY effective.

if you hunt the bay and see a grassy log or a gray log go buy it is probbily a sculling float. we don't wait for the birds to come to us we go to them. lots of times I have seen the breth come out of a bird on a cold day ,I am that close before I start to blast

sculling Oar
hunter

Postby Ross R » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:55 pm

what is a sculling oar? a motor? and is that goose neck collared?? that is a cool concept
Ross R
Forum & State Moderator

Postby sculling Oar » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:52 pm

there is a hole in the ( looking at the float ) on the right side. The oar is 7' long and is pushed in from the back, in through the hole and through a leather boot to make it water proof. so I don't get wet while laying in the bottom of the float. as you lay down you move the oar in a figure 8 motion and this moves the float forward, go VERY slow and get them in less than 30 yards, and let the 10 do it's thing 1 3/4oz of # 2 steel :hammering: :hammering: :hammering: let the feathers fly :eek: :eek:

Yes That bird was one of two that I saw that day in the same flock, that had a neck band. so I put a scull on it and 1 3/4 oz of #2 and I had my first band .......... She was banded in Alton NH 2 years before
sculling Oar
hunter

Postby Ross R » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:19 pm

THATS AWESOME! i am still waiting for my first neck collar! i cant wait. i shot my first band this year which was one of the best moments of my life! well good luck with your season and thanks for filling me in on the world of sculling
Ross R
Forum & State Moderator

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting