Londonderry/Hudson hunting...

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Londonderry/Hudson hunting...

Postby JimC » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:50 am

New to the forum and hunting ducks in NH. Just moved here a few years ago from NY and I'm trying to find a good spot or two to hunt locally. Does anyone have any suggestions of where to go? Specifically, can I hunt the swamps and ponds in Musquash state park?

I do have a small pond in the woods behind my house where I could set up, but I'm assuming that I'll have little action. I know some birds land there from when I was out hunting turkey this spring, but it'll be hit or miss I'm sure.

Any suggestions on where I can head out? Not really looking to go as far as the coast. I've got trips to NY and Jersey planned already for this year for coastal hunting.

Thanks for any input!
JimC
Newb

Re: Londonderry/Hudson hunting...

Postby JustinNH » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:13 am

Welcome to the forum!

The only advice I can give you is to scout, scout, scout. NH is not the duck capital of the flyway and people work hard to find spots that produce. Hell, I am still looking for more than a few inland spots that will constantly produce for myself. :lol3:

Be prepared for lots of other hunters in easy to find/get to spots... and even some in the tough to find spots! Think outside the box and make good use of google earth.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby NHDuckHunter » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:41 pm

If you have a small pond behind your house I would work on making that as attractive as possible (staying inside the law of course). That is a better honey hole than anything else you'll find. I'd take 1/2 the ducks I see now to have a place nobody else goes to.

There's a lot of water in Musquash. There's also a lot of hunters. Add all those hunters with the gun club on the opposite side and its not the most friendly place for ducks.... just saying.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby JimC » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:42 pm

I thought about the gun club but wasn't sure how many hunters would be in there. There's a lot of water but I noticed this time of year that it's almost more mud than water in a lot of spots. Also, it's a pretty populated piece of land between bikers and hikers. Lots of people in and around there.

That little pond in the woods out back may be good, I'm not sure yet. Another week or two and I'll get up early a couple mornings and scout it out; see if there's any action. It's a small piece of water but who knows, I've seen ducks in the area, maybe I'll get lucky. Looks like it's my best bet this year for local hunting though.

It's much different hunting up here than on Long Island, where there's tons of marsh land and relatively few hunters. This is something to get used to for sure.
JimC
Newb

Postby HeritageHunter » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:25 pm

Musquash gets a ton of pressure during deer season. Ducks I am not sure of. Scout a lot, and keep an eye on the spot behind house.

Might not have a lot of ducks right now but once they start getting pressured it could be a great location.
Keep the tradition alive and take a kid hunting!!!!

Honor our soldiers. Their sacrifice has given us our freedom.
HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Postby JustinNH » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:31 pm

HeritageHunter wrote:Might not have a lot of ducks right now but once they start getting pressured it could be a great location.

That is very true too
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby duckhunt4life81 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:28 pm

I hunt musquash good during the week on weekends ha forget it you got everyone an there brother I'm surprised no one has got shot yet. I had a guy shoot my dekes
870 supermag 887 supermag
Duck slayer
BOWTECH
duckhunt4life81
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting