Need a mentor/ some advice

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Need a mentor/ some advice

Postby Girlscanhunt2 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:41 pm

Hi. I recently got my hunting license in NH and I'm interested in waterfowl hunting up here, but I don't know a lot about NH. Everyone I know that hunts is down in Mass. I'm a 26 year old female. I need someone to help show me the ropes around southern NH or offer any advice you can. I'm down in Rockingham County. I hunt with a Winchester 1300. Any information would be appreciated as to other people that could help, places to meet other hunters, and land to hunt on. Thanks in advance for your time.
Girlscanhunt2
Newb

Re: Need a mentor/ some advice

Postby NHDuckHunter » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:08 am

Girlscanhunt2 wrote:Hi. I recently got my hunting license in NH and I'm interested in waterfowl hunting up here, but I don't know a lot about NH. Everyone I know that hunts is down in Mass. I'm a 26 year old female. I need someone to help show me the ropes around southern NH or offer any advice you can. I'm down in Rockingham County. I hunt with a Winchester 1300. Any information would be appreciated as to other people that could help, places to meet other hunters, and land to hunt on. Thanks in advance for your time.

What you'll find in NH is a lot different than MA. Pretty easy to find land to hunt on, there are a few (like less than 5 I think) towns were you can't hunt, otherwise, as long as its not posted, you meet the requirements for distance from buildings and roads, you can hunt it. If its private property, it is still always best practice to go ask the landowner though. In my experience, most of them look at you like you got three heads just for asking. Most are not used to that courtesy. I've never been told no.
As far as meeting people, you can join the local DU chapter or the NH Delta chapter. thats about the best place I know to meet duck hunters. If there is a Fish and Game club nearby that would help as well.
Generally, in my experience, its pretty tough to meet a new friend to take you hunting if you are showing up empty handed. No offense, but nobody wants to take someone hunting at THEIR spot and teach them stuff. If you get there, learn everything I can teach you, get good, decide you love it... next thing I know, you are hunting my spot every weekend and killing more ducks than me.
100 other people will say the same thing.... Scout, Scout, Scout. Find a spot with ducks, then go and try to figure it out best you can. When you have specific problems, come back and ask, then you'll probably get more help.
If you come back and post "Found a spot with a thousand ducks but can't 1) get them to decoy, or 2) seem to hit them when they do decoy, or 3)retrieve them after their shot." Than you'll have a whole line of people wanting to help you out and meet up on their next available day off.

If you lived further from me, I'd be more than happy to take you out sometime. Unfortunately, I live in Southern Rockingham County as well. So let me know when you find a spot. I'll take you out, teach you to call, show you how I set decoys, teach you to build a blind, call shots, clean ducks, and whatever else you want to know.

Starting off, I'd say get a DVD or CD on duck calling and a cheap call, a handful of decoys, and start scouting.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby SaucinJD » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:52 pm

......................And that is why there are so few new hunters.
SaucinJD
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:46 am

SaucinJD wrote:......................And that is why there are so few new hunters.

Seriously? I certainly didn't mean it that way. I thought that was relatively helpful.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby SaucinJD » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:58 pm

I'm not trying to be offensive or start some sort of controversy, but time and again people post for help on this forum and get told to "scout." I certainly understand the importance of driving around and finding birds but for a new hunter that will only get you so far. Folks new to duck and goose hunting know that you are supposed to shoot the bird with your gun, yet there are so many intricacies to the sport. An individual will scout out a location with birds, shoot the birds, and because they are unfamiliar, they will have no means of retrieving. I get tired of watching other hunters take errant and wasteful shots and hunt irresponsibly. I get tired of waiting at the boat launch for guys and gals to load their boat in the middle of the ramp. People need to be taught to do it right and that requires actually meeting with these people and showing them the ropes. Hopefully, they are gracious enough to give you a call if they want to hunt a spot you've shown them.

My family has brought along a huge contingent of new hunters and shown them how to do it right and we never have any issues. I know I'll get talked down to for this, but I don't see anything wrong with at least giving a new hunter a suggestion as to an easy location to try if they have limited experience and equipment.
SaucinJD
hunter

Postby duck envy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:23 pm

Girlscanhunt2,
You said you are just getting into hunting in NH... I assume that means you have hunted elsewhere in the past. Besides the shotgun, what type of equipment do you have for waterfowling? Do you have waders, calls, decoys, etc? Are you looking for help with where to hunt OR also how to hunt ducks? If you are looking for help on how to set a decoy spread, how to call birds, how to set up where birds will be... then you could meet up with someone other than southern NH and then use similar tactics in your own spots. I dont hunt southern NH much. The spots I know there are ones friends took me to. So I wont show them to anyone. But, if you are looking to get out and cant find someone local, Id be happy to have you along sometime in Central NH. All I ask (as anyone would) is that the locations remain secret. Its very tough finding duck spots in NH that others arent hunting hard.
Welcome to NH and to the site.
Best of luck this season.
duck envy
hunter

Postby Girlscanhunt2 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:59 am

I just wanted to thank you all for your responses. I found them all very helpful. I basically came to this site new in all directions. I just started waterfowl hunting not too long ago because I found the bounty to be the most plentiful and rewarding. I know I have mostly men out here reading my post so I just want to let you know that any advice is appreciated. Some more than others and that's perfectly acceptable. I understand how the game works. I just want to spread the reassuring notion that as a woman, I am not competitive in the sport. I'm not looking to take over anyone's secret spots, or tell others about them. I'm simply here to learn and enjoy others knowledge and company. I haven't invested much in equipment. I have waders, hip boots, and a lay out blind for goose. I've always been the little miss tag along, which I don't mind, so the guys I've hunted with usually have everything. Which is why I'm trying to reassure anyone willing to give me the time, that I'm not looking for any takeover. Just wisdom, companionship, and the opportunity to take home a couple kills. When I went and took my course the instructor told me, the best thing I could do was to meet others and learn something from everyone.
Girlscanhunt2
Newb

Postby JustinNH » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:44 pm

Welcome to the forum!

I went my entire first season and 90% of the second before I met up with seasoned hunters who took my friend and I out. Not knowing anyone close who was into hunting, it certainly made those first times tough.

I'd offer to take you out, but my inland spots were so bad last year that I've spent the 50 hours over the last month working on a boat for sea ducks :lol3: and all summer scouting them when metal detecting the beaches. As mentioned earlier, good spots are hard to come by here in NH and many spots that look excellent have 0 ducks.

Also, If you don't have decoys, there is nothing wrong with the $25/pack (or whatever they are)cheap hot buy mallards. Maybe throw in a wood duck or a few more depending on where you end up.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby tgs » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:32 pm

PM sent
"Pass a Tradition Along"
tgs
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:44 am

SaucinJD wrote: An individual will scout out a location with birds, shoot the birds, and because they are unfamiliar, they will have no means of retrieving. I get tired of watching other hunters take errant and wasteful shots and hunt irresponsibly. I get tired of waiting at the boat launch for guys and gals to load their boat in the middle of the ramp. People need to be taught to do it right and that requires actually meeting with these people and showing them the ropes.

Good points Saucin, you are right. There is certainly a need for these new people to get out with someone that knows what their doing, finding birds is a big factor in that. If you don't have a dog, find someone with one. Learn to mark and find downed birds for sure if you don't have one, learn the effective range of YOUR gun and shells. Great points.
Sounds like you've been lucky not getting burned, I wish I could say the same. I've been burned WAY too many times.

To the original poster, I stand by my comments- You have a gun, and a layout blind, good start. Maybe I would post more specifically looking for someone to take you field hunting than and start there. Like I said before too, if you posted you had a spot, and wanted help learning to hunt it, I guarantee you would get the mentor you are looking for. Good luck.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby jbourlos » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:55 pm

corlee??? haha send me a text and ill bring you to a few of my spots. seasons starts the 2nd. be ready
jbourlos
Newb

Postby Girlscanhunt2 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:04 am

Seriously Jordon.... How did you know it was me! hahaha.... October 2nd in NH?
Girlscanhunt2
Newb

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting