Seacoast Hunting - New Member

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Seacoast Hunting - New Member

Postby 4ants » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:30 pm

Hi NH Hunters,

I moved from Swanzey NH over to the seacoast area about 4 years ago. Soon after my retriever (Sage) passed away. Since then I have only gotten out a few times each year and that is usually limited to a small pond on family property in Westmoreland. I haven't gotten another dog yet because I wanted to wait until the kids were old enough that I could properly train a new pup.

I still have a canoe and a decent 18ft boat with a pop-up blind. I've reviewed topos and arials of the bay area and talked to Fish and Game. Given the time of year and size of the water I'm thinking the boat is the best / safest option. The state site refers to the area around the Bellamy river WMA and I've looked at Adams pt and areas south such as Brackets Pt and Pierce pt. They seem the most accessible by boat without having to deal with big water.

I've spent alot of time on freshwater but not much on brackish / salt water. I'm open to any feedback or suggestions on hunting the great bay area.

Thanks.
4ants
Newb

Postby Dogman » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:21 am

That 18 footer is the ticket for the bay,a canoe on the bay during fall/winter duck season is risky to say the least.I'm no expert on the bay,I've had the good fortune to go out on the bay as a guest on a friends boat.
Not a whole lot I can tell you but the best option is to get out and scout the areas you surveyed on the topo maps and get familiar with the spot you intend to hunt.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

re

Postby fatboto » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:35 pm

Don't know much about the bay. have hunted in maine! but hunting just a couple miles from you on a river is ok at times in the late season..
fatboto
hunter

Postby Cub » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:53 pm

4Ants as dogman said the 18 is the right boat.I watch alot of guys use a canoe on the bay.Not a good idea,Most of the time they just use the canoe as a reason to set up on top of you,Because the are limited to were they can go.With an 18 foot boat you can hunt all of the bay.Just pay attention to the weather.Get a chart use the compas rose on the chart and set in the lee side.One thing you want to watch is wind and currant going against each other.You can get in some big water fast if they are against each other.4 to 5 footers come up fast.Atoms point is a good ramp,But tide affects that ramp depending on the amout of water you draft.Hiltonpark is a hard ramp because of tide.Good luck stay safe.
Cub
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:20 am

you guys should have seen the 'surfboard' with a mudbuddy out there on Sat.... :eek:

the hunter was smart enough to back off going through the Straits......chop was at least 3 footers!!

Yup....finally got to hunt from Cubs boat.....whenever we hunted together we always had seperate boats.....got my chance and want to go out more in it!!!!!!!!! That is one sturdy boat....a tad wet at times, but one heck of a stable, well built craft....and the blind Cub put together sure fooled the Blacks!!!!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting