looking for places to hunt

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

looking for places to hunt

Postby anniegeturgun » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:30 pm

hi im new to the whole hunting thing,i went last year and didn't get anything, but just being outdoors was just as cool for me. My dad is from Michigan which he was big into hunting. since he moved to NH 6 years ago he has not hunted till I went with him last year. We are looking for areas to hunt in. looking for locations we went to brentwood last year but never strayed any other place. info would be much appreciated. Thanks again annie
anniegeturgun
Newb

Re: looking for places to hunt

Postby JustinNH » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:11 am

Welcome to the forum :welcome:

I won't skirt the issue and will directly say it-- NH is not the duck capitol of the flyway. Good duck spots are hard to come by and highly prized. With all the gas I've burned scouting, I could have bought myself a nice duck boat :hi:

Google Earth is one of the greatest tools available to us. Start at your house and work around it eventually branching out. Mark potential spots and go check them out and see if there are ducks. Just because there are none when you look, does not mean that none are there early AM/ late in the day or late in the season too.

Swamps, ponds, lakes, streams, rivers-- are all potential spots. Lots of fields for geese as well. Where we lack on duck population we partially make up for in spots and access to the spots compared to some other states.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting