NH weekend

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

NH weekend

Postby DUKHTR » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:27 pm

Well......I spent the entire weekend hunting NH waters....sat was pretty rough getting to the spot with all the windy chop......after a quick set-up of puddlers, scaup and Canadas we planted the boat in the grasses and within minutes had action......Blacks were streaming in on a string to our set all afternoon.....had a small group of Canadas work the rig but the wind kept blowing them off and they finally set down at 60 yards.......I figured they would move in but they swam off with the current so no geese.........only got one trigger pull each but the real fun was working the Blacks right on top of us.

This morning was a total bust! Saw one drake mallard and he was way up and on a mission........I figured with all the fresh water holes freezing up I was in for a great hunt.....set up along ice on a river inland which I have always done well at......not today though....picked up and headed home at 9.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ross R » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:29 am

sounds like you had fun though with those blacks! i wish there was a bigger bag limit on those! i was out in new york this weekend and got spoiled by my buddy out there, we had an amazing hunt i shot my first black duck, a beautiful drake. we ended out saturday with 14 mallards (one 2 of wich were hens) 3 blacks and 4 canadas! it was unreal!!! at one point we had approxamately 1500 geese working us at once but our measly spread of 74 full body and shell goose decoys and 1.5 doz full body ducks wouldnt finish them!!!! let me tell you i might have to move!! i will post up some pics when i get them from my buddy!!
knock em down out there!! shoot straight and be safe boys
Ross R
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:45 am

even though I had alot of fun (my first hunt from Cub's boat and we had not hunted together yet this year) it doesn't compare to your success Ross. Great hunt you had for sure.

I HATE those large groups of Canadas....first, it is near impossible for a real commitment.....secondly, when you do open up on 'em, you educate the entire flock.

As for the Blacks.........somedays you could never convince me they are the wariest of fowl........it's actually amazing...this was my first black of the season which is very odd......although, I have been trying hard to alter early season tactics/locations to where I will get mallards....the State of Maine actually wants us to take more mallards!!!!
In discussions with the Maine State Biologist, it is not Maine (and NH agrees) that is keeping the strict limit on the Blacks....it is the Fed! I have discussed this matter at length with the Maine Waterfowl Council and their hands are tied....although deep down I think they could be doing more to campaign for a two bird daily limit.

One way for us to help with that process is to document in our diaries the numbers of blacks taken ans well as seen, in comparison to other species....and then report back to our State folks.

I participate in the fed program of collecting wings from all my ducks shot during the season....been doing it for a decade......I was thinking about thie results so far this season....since I have not taken blacks, could that hurt the results if I want to show them the realistic numbers we have in our coastal marshes? Probably not, but I am keeping a history of all my hunts and sightings which I will be forwarding the the State after the season.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ross R » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:37 am

that is awesome! how do you get involved in doing that wing keeping thing? i would like to be a lot more involved in the waterfowling world, i love it and live for it every day of the year. do you have to be invited? what is the deal

That trip to NY definately spoiled me! i was glad to go but it makes me sad to think about the amount of birds out there compared to here.

By the way Do you ever hunt hampton marsh? i will be heading out there later this season once the inland season is over.
Ross R
Forum & State Moderator

trophy

Postby Ross R » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:23 pm

here is a picture of my black
Ross R
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cub » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:29 pm

D,It was nice watching those blacks work in over your blocks.I wish some of the mallards would have come back,But it was great to just work birds.I think I am going to try the same area again this weekend.I might just make a slight ajustment to were I set up.
Cub
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting