What a day

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

What a day

Postby poor_duck » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:51 pm

One of the best days of my hunting Currier and yes I miss opening day!!! I get 179 miss calls from 3 Am to 5:45 Am and then they give up. Now the stories begin I got their around 6:50 and it was over 10 people in the spot and of course fishing game truck was there so I park my truck get my gun my decoys and my dog and here we go what a mess I get myself into. got down to the water and 5 of the guys were shooting at anything that pass by and none of them retrieve a duck yet now before all this it was two guys set up their since 2 AM in the morning and the other guys show up late and they went in front of them and block their way now that F……… I really feel bad for this mess and these two guys set their and did not say a thing I could not believe this they pick up and had home early I’m not sure if they shoot at any. Now lets go forward so fishing game said to me can we let your dog Chloe find the ducks I said sure she bring in 7 ducks so fishing game issues few tickets to some of the guys and I end up turning back and had home back to bad life is good!!! The only reason I wrote this just to let these two guys know I apologize for wasting their day and if you read this please shoot me a pm
Last edited by poor_duck on Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
poor_duck
hunter

Re: What a day

Postby duck envy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:39 pm

Did you happen to be west of Interstate 93, across the street from a boat launch and the F&G truck was parked blocking two other trucks into a parking area? Sorry for the vague description, but didn't want to give away your spot if that IS your spot. I drove by the above scenario, around 8am, after leaving a spot I hunted nearby, and it looked like something big was happening. Just curious.
duck envy
hunter

Postby poor_duck » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:03 pm

duck envy wrote:Did you happen to be west of Interstate 93, across the street from a boat launch and the F&G truck was parked blocking two other trucks into a parking area? Sorry for the vague description, but didn't want to give away your spot if that IS your spot. I drove by the above scenario, around 8am, after leaving a spot I hunted nearby, and it looked like something big was happening. Just curious.

first i will tell you this its state land so its every body spot. no spot is my spot but common sense you got their first it's yours i have to find different place or stay away at lease 100 yard . i will say this this spot in general if you don't have a dog you are their to shoot not to harvest ducks and that is a big problem in the other hand if you only shoot above water your OK and that going to be very hard but again i don't care I go hunting to have fun and eat what i shoot and i know lots of guys do the same but sometime you find few people can't do it oh well. I will not go hunting with out my dogs ,my duck calls or my decoys. sorry lets get back to your question and yes that is the spot
poor_duck
hunter

Postby Needabirddog » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:55 am

What was the law they were wrought up for?
Needabirddog
Newb

Postby JustinNH » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:58 am

Sounds like quite the morning!
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby duck envy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:25 am

Well that explains a lot! We tried to hunt the very western end of the pond that attaches to the area where the F&G truck was. We were the only people at the boat ramp at 4am. But when we arrived at our first choice of spots, there werr already several people there. They must have walked in as there is no other access. And they must have walked in starting at midnight. Haha. Anyways, we went to a different cove nearer the launch and found all kinds of roosting birds. And they all left before legal time of course. But we heard a ton of shooting coming from our first choice of spots AND from down where you described. After we finished our hunt, I took a drive over to see where people were hunting down that way. I had never hunted in that stretch. Looks like a narrow brook and VERY jungle like! Id imagine even a dog could have troubles in there. I dont even understand why they would want to shoot ducks they werent retrieving. I thought it was all about putting them on the plate for dinner! People can be so screwed up. I hope the fines and loss of license make them think differently next time.
duck envy
hunter

Postby poor_duck » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:59 am

Needabirddog wrote:What was the law they were wrought up for?

1 guys don't have plugs in his guns. and 5 of then for not retrieve the ducks and some other stuff i don't know the hole details
poor_duck
hunter

Postby deertoducks » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:00 pm

poor_duck wrote:

1 guys don't have plugs in his guns. and 5 of then for not retrieve the ducks and some other stuff i don't know the hole details

I guess 6 guys enjoyed opening day and the their last day all at once...... till they get their license's back next year :hammer:
deertoducks
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:45 am

deertoducks wrote:
poor_duck wrote:

I guess 6 guys enjoyed opening day and the their last day all at once...... till they get their license's back next year :hammer:

You think they'll lose their licenses for that? I hope so, but somehow doubt it.

How does Fish and Game know they weren't just going to retrieve the ducks later? I'm sure we've all shot ducks and not headed out right away to get them. I had no idea that was a problem. First thing in the morning, as long as I'm sure I have the duck identified, I'll always hold the dog until the opening flurry is over.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby duck envy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:04 am

I believe any time a fine is issued, it is an automatic loss of license. The length of suspension can vary though.
duck envy
hunter

Postby deertoducks » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:41 pm

Yes, what duck envy said, anytime a citation issued in nh... Automatic loss of lic :hammer: time varies but I wouldn't think they will get them back before duck season ends. Reminder to all to mind their P's & Q's.... You never know who's watching.
deertoducks
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting