Exeter River Duck hunting

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Exeter River Duck hunting

Postby Tomcoleman » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:21 pm

Well I usually never hunt the river But I figured Id take the canoe out tommarow get hidden put out some decoys do some calling and mabey blast a few ducks I always see them over near that treatment plant figured Id try it out first time hunting the river anyone got any tips
Tomcoleman
hunter

Postby Ross R » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:35 am

i have never hunted the exeter river... i would just make sure you have enough weight on your ducks, i dont know how fast the flow is but i wish you luck! get some pics up if you can!!
Ross R
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DUKHTR » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:51 am

Two things........the Exeter is in a closed (inland) zone and the location you emblazoned for all to know and find out about, is also in the inland zone but it is not the Exeter River.

Everyone..........do yourself a favor (and all the others who have hunted spots over the years), please do not provide location specific details on an open forum. I know we all try to help others etc.....do it through pm's when possible. When details go on an open forum ANYONE can read the data, not just your fellow members and cyber-friends.

So Tom........the next time you run up the river to the treatment plant, you'll probably find someone in your spot!!!!! I can guarnatee you this....I was there well over a decade ago and don't need your advertising, please! Also, for your own good, check your regulations regarding the NH zones carefully. The coastal zone is all that remains open.

Welcome to the site....just be careful and also considerate.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

I have to agree

Postby DuckDuckGoose.... » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:42 am

PM seems to be the best way to communicate questions about locations. Thanks for my new spot on the Exeter River. Kidding?????? I would be afraid to eat a duck that came off of the treatment plant.
DuckDuckGoose....
hunter

Postby Expert » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:18 pm

Dont listen to him. He thinks he owns the Bay. Hunt where you want.
Expert
Newb

Postby DUKHTR » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:52 am

Nice first post Expert....welcome to the site...... :umm:

The point is not ME...it is for all of us. Just for fun, why don't you tell all of us your favorite spot since you seem to know so much.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Tomcoleman » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:04 pm

haha thanks guys yeah ok i gues sI wont share my spots iill prbably see you all there well good luck to yall I hit up seabrook tonight for some afternoon stomping and the ducks were all one step ahead of me I usually get a few mallards and a black outa those channels not a damn thing no hunters either I was suprssed good luck to you all
Tomcoleman
hunter

Postby Expert » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:57 pm

never sayed i know everything.but ok i will share. adams point towards little bay first few coves especially for small boats and canoes. i hunt there with my canoe but watch the wind and water be saffe :thumbsup:
Expert
Newb

Postby DUKHTR » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:43 am

Thanks Expert....never woulda thought of there. :salude:

Seriously of course........that area has become so overcrowded the past few years....alot of small craft guys secure from heading out the Straits....more of an afternoon high tide spot in my experience and can be very productive when not crowded.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mike M. » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:58 pm

Good advice D. Personally, I have never understood why people give away specifics on internet sites like this. Keep in mind that there are probably 3 times the number of people lurking on these forums that never even make a post compared to the handful of folks that post regularly. The lurkers are only here for get it now information. It really doesn't make sense to me to give away spots unless you like to have more people hunting in your area or worse beating you to the spots you like to hunt. I don't know about you guys but I don't like having to compete for spots all the time especially when some spots that get named specifically can't take the pressure of more than a couple of boats out at a time.
Mike M.
hunter

Postby Jeff E » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:07 am

OK so we all know that when driving east on 101 and you look south into those lovely poop pits there are usually a couple dozen ducks, I have seen them for years but never had a desire to hunt them. No big secret let out there.

I hope this is a friendly forum.

I hunt 50/50 from canoes and boats. Canoes have some advantages to access but be very careful on the Great Bay. Can easily get yourself in a heap of trouble out there, by the same token I have been stuck out there in a boat when the tide let out and I had to wait 6 agonizing hours to get myself out.

Adams Point is a good suggestion for launching a canoe, there are some close by coves on the lee side and you don't have to cross large amounts of open water to get there. Again no major harm let out here, Adams point is a WMA (I think) and has been listed in several articles in field&stream magazine. On those days that I don't want to hassle with the boat I will launch a canoe from Adams but DH is correct it is crowded at times.

Happy New Year :salude:
So many species to hunt and work is always in the way!
Jeff E
Newb

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting