Funny story.... duck ID

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Funny story.... duck ID

Postby NHDuckHunter » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:48 am

So I'm out for the opener with two buddies. I'm getting pretty adamant about shooting drakes, and id'ing ducks before even picking my gun up. So we have three swing through, I say "what the hell were those?" nobodies sure. They wheel around and come in tucked right on my side of the blind. My buddy says "take em" and I just watch not sure what the hell they are. I have by far the easiest shots at the three of them. My buddy drops one, it was a pintail. :lol3:

Thankfully, I've gotten one a few years ago, otherwise I'd be pissed. When I took mine, three came in that day too. Those three gave me a nice crossing shot out front where it was really easy to see the sprig and ID. Not the case this time.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Re: Funny story.... duck ID

Postby JustinNH » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:11 am

That's funny-- I was just talking to my buddy last night about the pintail I got a few years ago. Pretty rare for here
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby Baymen Moe » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:05 pm

JustinNH wrote:That's funny-- I was just talking to my buddy last night about the pintail I got a few years ago. Pretty rare for here

Seem to be becoming more common in the northeast the past few years. Took a hen two years ago and missed a bull last year. Reports on DHC seem to suggest a few more around these parts as well.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby duck envy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:46 am

Saw a small group pass through our spot this morning that may have been pintails. No shot opportunity though. I wouldn't have even considered "pintail" as an ID on them if it weren't for this thread! But after looking at photos, I think they were.
duck envy
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:00 pm

I seem to see at least one group a year.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting