Good inland weekend

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: Ross R, JustinNH

Good inland weekend

Postby JustinNH » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:19 am

The seas were probably too rough to go sea ducking, even as much as I was looking forward to it all week. So we decided to try and get some puddle ducks before they were all pushed out of our spots.

Saturday I managed a nice wood duck drake out of a pair. Unfortunately, that was all we had some in or pass by in shooting range.

Sunday was much better. It seemed like every single, pair, and tripple that came near us wanted to dump into the spread-- which doesn't normally happen :lol3: We ended with 4 mallards (one after the pic but this one was better), 2 black ducks, and a merg. More than made up for not going out for sea ducks :beer:
Attachments
101313.jpg
101213.jpg
JustinNH
State Moderator

Re: Good inland weekend

Postby goosebuster11 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:10 am

Good Work! I havent been seeing to many inland ducks. The spot that produced for me last year dried up, and just havent found another good hole yet. Again nice work! :beer:
goosebuster11
hunter

Postby chefletch » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:47 pm

nice lookin ducks!
If it Flies, It dies.... if it's brown knock it down
chefletch
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:41 am

Thank you both :thumbsup:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby NHDuckHunter » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:16 pm

How'd you count that duck on the left there?

Nice bag, I haven't seen a mallard in NH all friggen year.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:59 am

NHDuckHunter wrote:How'd you count that duck on the left there?

Nice bag, I haven't seen a mallard in NH all friggen year.

Thanks

It was a black. Very very little white on the bottom of the speculum (about the average for all I have shot). The one on the right actually had more white there. Neither had white at the top of those feathers. The head on that one to the left may look off in the pic, but it was just blood and/or the shadow.

That is odd-- you're not the first person to tell me about the lack of mallards they are seeing. I wonder what is up with that? Last year I saw very few... but this year I am seeing a fair amount.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby Rise and Shine Retrievers » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:44 am

you're not the first person to tell me about the lack of mallards they are seeing

I'm seeing a 50/50 mix of woodies/mallards on the ponds. Just woodies in the rivers.
Preserve game, use a well trained retriever.
Rise and Shine Retrievers
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:54 pm

JustinNH wrote:
NHDuckHunter wrote:How'd you count that duck on the left there?

The head on that one to the left may look off in the pic, but it was just blood and/or the shadow.

That is odd-- you're not the first person to tell me about the lack of mallards they are seeing. I wonder what is up with that? Last year I saw very few... but this year I am seeing a fair amount.

It looks like a green stripe. Reminded me of the black/mallard hybrid I shot last year. Always a good topic for conversation because EVERYONE has spoken to a Game Warden and every game warden has told them something else as to if its counted as a mallard, a black, or as an "other". I've asked two game wardens, one told me he would count it as what it "most looked like", the other one said "In honesty, I would ask the hunter, if he told me he counted it as a mallard, I would too. If he said he counted it as an other, fine. If he said it was a black... well then he's stupid." :lol3:

I've been hunting the same couple places I always hunt, I haven't seen crap for mallards.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:31 pm

Yeah I have:
1- emailed F&g 6 or 7 years ago... They said it was up to individual wardens but to use common sense.
2- Spoke to F&G in front of my my wife's hunters ed class. They said it would have to pretty much be a perfect 50.50 hybrid (but they may just have not liked the pressure of the question... :hi: )
3-Spoke to an officer in person. I dont remember if they were F&G or F&W/fed... but I think it was at least two characteristics.

Plus all the other posts I have read about white on the bottom of the spec means late gen hybrid but counted as a black and arguable if has white on top even with no other traits.

....So to sum it up, I guess the email I asked 7 years ago was the best!-- just use better judgement.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby Rise and Shine Retrievers » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:22 am

Sat morning, my son & I. It was all over in 20 min though.
Attachments
Skye_-_Lucy__Woodies_29290855_std.jpg
Preserve game, use a well trained retriever.
Rise and Shine Retrievers
hunter

Postby Granitewaterfowl » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:11 am

Haven't been seeing many ducks or geese lately, been trying all the spots around the derry area and I'll see a few right before light or at sunset and that's it
Granitewaterfowl
Newb

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting