Average Duck Numbers

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Average Duck Numbers

Postby NHMeatEater » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:51 am

Being new to duck hunting I'm trying to get an understanding of the numbers of ducks I could potentially see in the area I'm hunting. I'm on the west coast of NH, Lebanon/Hanover region and I know it's not exactly in the middle of a flyway but what is an average? I know they are migrating so any place could be dead one day and hot the next. Just trying to set my expectations at realistic levels, not like all the videos of the mid-west with blackened skies of ducks coming in.
NHMeatEater
hunter

Re: Average Duck Numbers

Postby JustinNH » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:38 am

Any of the large rivers (of which you are near one) or the coast could technically be used as a 'flyway' line of navigation for migrating ducks. Granted, no where in NH will be like in the videos, no matter where you are. :lol3:

I've had mornings where I see hundreds in the morning flight and I've seen morning flights where I'd like to think my eyes were closed because I didn't see a single one.

It is all dependent on migration, pressured local ducks, weather, location (big factor to numbers and species)-- so it is really hard or technically impossible to answer this question. If you want to have reasonable expectations, expect to see a pair and that way you can be excited when you see a lot and not as bummed when it is a slow morning.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby Rise and Shine Retrievers » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:42 am

I think of it like this. I go as much as I can to get those 4 or 5 good shoots a year. Not great shoots, but good ones for NH. At the end of a hunt, sometimes you know why things worked and sometimes you don't. A good day in the duck blind can't be beat.
Hunting pressure and weather are the 2 biggest factors to successful hunting here. Avoid the crowds, pray for cold weather and the number of ducks you see will increase expedientially.
A Lab you train, a Chessie you negotiate with.
Rise and Shine Retrievers
hunter

Postby NHMeatEater » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:18 am

Thanks for the insight. I've at least seen some birds everytime I go but wasn't seeing tons. Hopefully with colder weather coming that will change. As to hunting pressure, I guess I'm thinking of this like I do when hunting whitetails, hunt a spot too much and you can ruin it. Is this possible with ducks given the fact that they are migrating? Can you hunt a spot too much? Shouldn't it be just about new ducks every few days or so?
NHMeatEater
hunter

Postby goosebuster11 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:42 pm

I agree with the guys 100%. Assume that you will see 1 or 2 ducks that wont even give you shots, that way when that one suicide greenhead comes bombing in, its all the better!

I also agree with Rise and Shine. I hunt everyday that I can get out because every time you see a duck its a learning experience. You learn why they come in, why they dont, what works and what doesnt. And if you get out there 9 days and only see 1 or 2 and learn from those few ducks, the 10th day you go out when they come in all morning long 2 at a time you will be ready (and be one of the few nh duck hunters that has had this happen :lol3: )
goosebuster11
hunter

Postby NHMeatEater » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:49 pm

Well the stars must be aligned because I drove by a spot that I had only seen a handful of woodies and there must have been 20+ ducks in there. :grooving: Guess I know where I'm going tomorrow morning. Thanks again for all the info everyone!
NHMeatEater
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:29 am

Ducks don't migrate like that. Ducks migrate in waves. Yes, it is very easy, and usually likely that you or someone will shoot out a spot.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting