First plumed eider

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: Ross R, JustinNH

First plumed eider

Postby JustinNH » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:27 pm

Finally got one of my goals for the season, my first fully plumed drake. The whole process is getting a little smoother for us each time we go (now 3 times). Between two of us, we got about 20 this weekend. It is certainly a lot of effort, but always fun. :beer:
Attachments
102013justin.jpg
JustinNH
State Moderator

Re: First plumed eider

Postby goosebuster11 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:49 pm

Great looking birds!! Nice Work! :beer:
goosebuster11
hunter

Postby duck envy » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:08 pm

I always enjoy seeing mature drake eiders... pretty birds. Surf scoter heads/bills always amaze me too. But drake old squaws are my favorite. Didn't see any old squaw yesterday though (first sea duck trip this year).
We saw quite a few eider drakes out there yesterday... but they were awful smart about circling our setup! The hen eiders and scoters weren't so smart. :hammer:
The worst part about sea ducking is it takes far longer to get set up properly than it does to fill a limit!
duck envy
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:34 am

goosebuster11 wrote:Great looking birds!! Nice Work! :beer:

duck envy wrote:I always enjoy seeing mature drake eiders... pretty birds. Surf scoter heads/bills always amaze me too. But drake old squaws are my favorite. Didn't see any old squaw yesterday though (first sea duck trip this year).
We saw quite a few eider drakes out there yesterday... but they were awful smart about circling our setup! The hen eiders and scoters weren't so smart. :hammer:
The worst part about sea ducking is it takes far longer to get set up properly than it does to fill a limit!

Yeah, I mounted an oldsquaw a year or two ago and I did a black scoter before that. I plan to get one of all the drakes and eventually hens. Drake sea ducks are some of my favorite birds.

I haven't seen any oldsquaws yet either and from what I have been told I probably shouldn't expect them for a month or so.
Eiders, even the drakes, have been playing well with our decoys, as have surfs... white wings seem to be a lot more picky with something about us.

yeah, you got that right. the three times I have gone sea ducking this year I have had to get up about as early as I do to go grouse hunting way up north!
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby Rise and Shine Retrievers » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:16 am

Nice birds. Now how you going to cook 'em?
Preserve game, use a well trained retriever.
Rise and Shine Retrievers
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:26 am

Eat them? No way. They go right in the trash or I just leave them at the ramp for the sea gulls. :lol3:

Those two are in the freezer to mount...or at least try to mount. We gave a bunch of meat away to friends and family to try too. Others are in freezer bags to go down a list of ways to cook/marinades to use. So far any marinade that makes your eyes water when smelling it in the bottle seems to work well. :lol3:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby McManusClan5 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:41 pm

Beautiful bird! Drake Eiders are my favorite looking bird - can't really tell you why, but I think they're the bomb (first bird I ever had stuffed).

Congrats on a nice one!

Matt
McManusClan5
hunter

Postby Bunker » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:13 pm

JustinNH wrote:Eat them? No way. They go right in the trash or I just leave them at the ramp for the sea gulls. :lol3:

Those two are in the freezer to mount...or at least try to mount. We gave a bunch of meat away to friends and family to try too. Others are in freezer bags to go down a list of ways to cook/marinades to use. So far any marinade that makes your eyes water when smelling it in the bottle seems to work well. :lol3:

Two words "mojo criollo" found in the latin/spanish section of hannaford, shaws...take your pick. Soak em in that over night. Beat em a couple of times with a tenderizer hammer and fry em up. Not to sound prickish whats the sense of shooting more than one to mount if you aren't gonna eat em'!?

Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk
Bunker
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:37 am

Thanks Matt :thumbsup:

Bunker-

I eat them-- that first line was a joke (and not only unethical but also illegal).
I'll keep that in mind, thanks :thumbsup: -- I am always open to hearing suggestions on how to cook them different ways.

Current favorite:

Butterfly the breast and stuff it with Cabot habanero cheese...need to try it with bacon as well.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby Bunker » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:45 am

Sorry man, usually I have a pretty dry sense of humor and can pick up on those things. My bad!

I do highly recommend the mojo marinade its go pretty well with most anything.

Thanks for your recipe believe me next time I'm in Hannaford I'll be swinging by the cheese section, you had me at habanero and won me over with bacon! :thumbsup:

Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk
Bunker
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting