How did everyone do (so far)?

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

How was the first split compared to last year?

Far better!
43%
Better
14%
Same
14%
Poor
14%
Should have slept in
14%

Total votes : 7

How did everyone do (so far)?

Postby JustinNH » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:00 pm

With the end of the first split for inland, I will ask my usual question...

How did everyone do? Any interesting ducks? Any firsts?

We spent half of the season so far for sea ducks. Been out 4 times and have 40 or so. Inland I finally had my first 0 of the year this past Saturday, but also had out best inland day in 6 seasons with 7 birds between two of us earlier this season. Usually 3 or 4 makes for a great day, which I know is a lot less than many of you. :lol3:

A plumed drake eider was my goal for the year and I managed it, so I am happy. Unfortunately, the one day I took my dog was the one day we got skunked. Wish I took her out on the day of 7. She is partially trained for ducks, but is mostly a frizbee dog.

Having ignition issues with the motor, so hopefully I can get that fixed prior to next weekend!
JustinNH
State Moderator

Re: How did everyone do (so far)?

Postby NHMeatEater » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:28 pm

Being my first duck hunting season, I've managed two birds so far. Honestly thought I would have had more. Lots of close encounters though so if I put aside the beginners learning curve, I'd probably have a dozen or so. Most important lesson learned was to never shoot a merganser! I sucked it up and ate but based on principle only. I hope the second half of the season will produce better numbers! Until then.....
NHMeatEater
hunter

Postby Rise and Shine Retrievers » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:25 am

FInished the first half with 18 ducks and 1 banded goose.
Attachments
Cranberry Bog '13.jpg
Preserve game, use a well trained retriever.
Rise and Shine Retrievers
hunter

Postby mojo » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:01 pm

1 for 1......shot 1 duck on 1 duck hunt. Dog made a text book retrieve. Quick 10 minute jump shoot on the way home from work.

I've been exclusively upland hunting...good success on pheasant, and found a few partridge in spots closer to home. Dog has been doing excellent on point. Headed to the Northeast Kingdom to chase timberdoodles and partridge all weekend....can't wait.

We'll switch back to ducks come Decemberish...
mojo
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:08 am

Horrendous. Between low duck numbers and jerk duck hunters, its been my worst year in 20.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:59 am

mojo wrote:1 for 1......shot 1 duck on 1 duck hunt. Dog made a text book retrieve. Quick 10 minute jump shoot on the way home from work.

I've been exclusively upland hunting...good success on pheasant, and found a few partridge in spots closer to home. Dog has been doing excellent on point. Headed to the Northeast Kingdom to chase timberdoodles and partridge all weekend....can't wait.

We'll switch back to ducks come Decemberish...

:beer: Good luck!

NHDuckHunter wrote:Horrendous. Between low duck numbers and jerk duck hunters, its been my worst year in 20.

My exact thoughts on last year's first split.

For whatever reason, I only heard one group in the 4 or so inland hunts I did this year. I was amazed-- last year was much different.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby Woodsy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:55 pm

Well two shots and two kills for me. Only made it out twice. I spent 5 days in NY killing early season geese so that helped quench the thirst for a while at least. Did see some birds around more for my areas than normal but I also saw as many trucks with duck commander stickers on the back as well. Haha Now just ready for second season more birds and less yahoos.
Woodsy
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:16 am

NHDuckHunter wrote:Horrendous. Between low duck numbers and jerk duck hunters, its been my worst year in 20.

Its all so cyclical. After having a terrible year in the beginning, its now turning around for duck numbers, and polite duck hunters. I hunted a very popular spot Sunday morning thinking not a lot of people would be out (there were). Well we set-up damn early, and my buddy realized he forgot his blind bag so we had to make a run back to the launch. Someone else showed up while we were gone and set-up really close to us (not their fault, they didn't know we were there, we were gone at the time and it was too dark to see decoys). Well, on the way back we stopped to talk to them to tell them what happened. We all decided we'd stay where we were and just make the best of it. Guys were great for as long as they stayed, not calling ducks off us, and vise versa.
Didn't get many ducks, but it was nice to see some polite guys out there.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby Woodsy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:44 pm

Hit up the bay Friday for a special hunt. The first hunt ever for my son. Windy as hell and didn't fire a shot but still very special. Went back on sat. And we killed a few birds but shocking to see how much ice had already formed. Sure its gone by now but felt more like a January day instead of Nov.
Woodsy
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:10 am

Woodsy wrote:Hit up the bay Friday for a special hunt. The first hunt ever for my son. Windy as hell and didn't fire a shot but still very special. Went back on sat. And we killed a few birds but shocking to see how much ice had already formed. Sure its gone by now but felt more like a January day instead of Nov.

That is great :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

yeah, Saturday was cold!Sea water was freezing on the bow of my boat that day. Also of note, the weathermen lied about the winds. haha
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby Codfather » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:55 pm

doing okay had better hunts last year.
for my group. I don't count birds if I am not there!
geese 191
ducks 122
Attachments
iphone 443 (800x600).jpg
iphone 278 (800x600).jpg
iphone 538 (800x600).jpg
iphone 428 (800x533).jpg
Codfather
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:08 am

Very nice :thumbsup:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby Codfather » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:57 pm

two banded hens in two days!
Attachments
iphone 545 (600x800).jpg
iphone 556 (800x600).jpg
Codfather
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:05 am

Congrats on the bands!

We're up to 85ish sea ducks this year... no bands yet. No bands at all in 6 years... haha
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby NHDuckHunter » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:08 am

Codfather wrote:two banded hens in two days!

I just shot my third banded drake in 3 days! The first two were banded in the same town 2 weeks apart. Todays was banded a little earlier, and a little further away!
Date 08/20/2012
Species MALLARD
Age HATCHED IN 2011 OR EARLIER
Sex MALE
Location NOTRE-DAME-DE-PIERREVILLE, QUEBEC, CANADA
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby deertoducks » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:32 pm

NHDuckHunter wrote:

Its all so cyclical. After having a terrible year in the beginning, its now turning around for duck numbers, and polite duck hunters. I hunted a very popular spot Sunday morning thinking not a lot of people would be out (there were). Well we set-up damn early, and my buddy realized he forgot his blind bag so we had to make a run back to the launch. Someone else showed up while we were gone and set-up really close to us (not their fault, they didn't know we were there, we were gone at the time and it was too dark to see decoys). Well, on the way back we stopped to talk to them to tell them what happened. We all decided we'd stay where we were and just make the best of it. Guys were great for as long as they stayed, not calling ducks off us, and vise versa.
Didn't get many ducks, but it was nice to see some polite guys out there.

Nhdh, I believe that was me and a couple buddies, where you in a canoe? If so... we actually had the same discussion amongst ourselves.
That's how hunters should respect each other.
That day of puddle duck hunting also reminded me why I spend 99.9 percent of the time sea duck hunting :lol3:
Too much effort for so little action.
deertoducks
hunter

Postby Codfather » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:27 pm

NHDuckHunter wrote:
Codfather wrote:two banded hens in two days!

I just shot my third banded drake in 3 days! The first two were banded in the same town 2 weeks apart. Todays was banded a little earlier, and a little further away!
Date 08/20/2012
Species MALLARD
Age HATCHED IN 2011 OR EARLIER
Sex MALE
Location NOTRE-DAME-DE-PIERREVILLE, QUEBEC, CANADA

hunted today with my buddy eric and we limited out QUICK with eiders at 15 yards! best hunt on eiders for close shots. I shot a banded drake eider today and the last 4 numbers are completely gone.
Attachments
020 (640x480).jpg
028.PNG
Codfather
hunter

Postby BigWaterGunner » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:46 pm

Nice ! Congrats on the bands guys. The late season mature eiders are coming in thicker and thicker every day now.
BigWaterGunner
Newb

Postby NHDuckHunter » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:08 pm

deertoducks wrote:Nhdh, I believe that was me and a couple buddies, where you in a canoe? If so... we actually had the same discussion amongst ourselves.
That's how hunters should respect each other.
That day of puddle duck hunting also reminded me why I spend 99.9 percent of the time sea duck hunting :lol3:
Too much effort for so little action.

Yup, green canoe. My buddy was so concerned we'd piss you guys off thats why we pulled in on our way back.
:beer:
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting