New member....lots of questions.....

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: Ross R, JustinNH

New member....lots of questions.....

Postby rick57nh » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:13 am

Hey guys new to the forum have browsed here one and off for a while and thought I'd finally join some people that share the same addiction! Hhaha. I'm from the seacoast area and have been duck hunting for a few years now. It's great to see other guys out there having great seasons! I guess my biggest question would be what do I need to get started sea duck hunting? I have a canoe now thati hunt the various marshes with around the seacoast but have always awed at you guys out there among the rocks. I'm still a newbie as this is my 4th doing waterfowl. I'm looking more toward next season and wanted to cash in on the deals that can be bad as the season closes or maybe even make some new friends to hunt with as I'm usually alone. Any help will be appreciated! Hope you guys have a great rest of the season
rick57nh
hunter

Re: New member....lots of questions.....

Postby JustinNH » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:49 pm

Welcome to the forum!

I bought a cheap boat last year (16 footer) and spent the summer fixing it up and rigging it all up. If you have the $ and space, go with a larger boat-- 2 people, gear and 3 dozen decoys fills up the boat quickly!

besides that, I bought 2 dozen eider decoys, a dozen oldsquaw, and painted 1 or 2 dozen scoters myself. Rigged up on a longline and stored in 12 slot bags (saves a lot of time clipping) and works very nicely and quick.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby rick57nh » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:29 pm

Thanks man! Yea I have a 14 foot deep vee boat with a 25 horse on it! Guess that'll be painted! Haha I saw your build came out great! So jealous you guys are out there this year. Ill def take your advice and stock up on some decoys over the winter. I was told you could paint mallards to match the scoter colors? I know oldsqauw and eiders are around what other species should I get? My funds aren't limitless haha but this is my new addiction. Do you guys run a blind on the boat or just paint it drab? Sorry if I'm prying just you can't find a lot online and have only seen a few hunters to ask.
rick57nh
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:10 am

No worries!

Yes, save money if you have to by painting scoters. I hit them with 1 layer of 99 cent paint and it is still holding up enough to last 1 season. Of course, I am storing them in bags though.

Early season where I have been have been mostly scoters, some eider, no oldswaw. Mid season was more of a mix, few less eiders, few more oldsquaw. Last two times I was out, scoters still were the highest (though less of them) , way more oldsquaw and only saw 1 eider.

Changes based on where you are and how far out you are, etc... but from scouting last year (and years prior even) I kinda expected to see what I have been.

Boat is painted and we have a 1 piece blind that we unroll. It has poles tied into it that fit mounts in the boat. Probably takes 2 min to set up!
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby rick57nh » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:50 am

Awesome man thanks! That'll give me plenty to do in the offseason hahaha. Good luck the test of the season thanks for your help. Looks like snow this weekend sounds like good weather to cash in hahaha. Thanks again!
rick57nh
hunter

Postby duck envy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:09 pm

We have shot them just by laying in the bottom of a jon boat. They arent the smartest or most wary of birds. They are used to seeing lobster boats out there where they hang out. So dont be surprised when they try landing in your decoys even if you are sitting up in the boat. Granted, the shots may be 20-30 yards.
If you are in a layout boat or sitting on rocks, you could be seeing birds five yards away.
But, either way, you will get action.

Pick your days in a 14' boat... you will be fine. Biggest thing is planning the entry/exit of any harbor or river around the tide. Those current-meets-tide waves can get ya if you dont pay attention.

As far as decoys... I made my own out of Hot Buy mallards. I spray them flat black and then hand brush on colors to make them look like different types of scoter or eider. I have not made any Old Squaw decoys. It seems that we get them flying through even without specific decoys for them.
I use old window sash weights for anchors. They dont get hung up often, but when they do it is cheap to cut the line and leave them.
I put my decoys in the 12 slot bags... and the Hot Buys are small enough that the bag actually holds two dozen.
I put twelve decoys on each decoy line. I stagger the spacing between decoys. Some within a foot of eachither and some up to eight feet apart. Makes it look more natural and gives the ducks a place to land inside the spread.
Dont forget to have a weight on each end of the decoy string... otherwise when the tide changes everything will bunch up and then swing and youll be untangling decoys.
duck envy
hunter

Postby rick57nh » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:07 pm

thanks a lot guys! ill definitely be giving it a try next year as the addiction grows! Lol thanks a lot! Sorry it took me so long to get back I do Heating & AC for a living so you can imagine I have been a little north of BUSY lately! haha. Always looking to meet new hunters and try something new! THanks again for the advice I already picked up some stuff for the long line kits and will be grabbing some decoys to paint with the extra money from all my overtime. Cant wait to start getting ready!
Thanks again
Rick
rick57nh
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting