Ducks ... what else

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Ducks ... what else

Postby Shark Bait » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:02 pm

slow 1st season but the 2nd season has been good.

little bling

Nothing beats a good retrieving dog. We've honestly lost less than a couple of birds in some very difficult marshes.
Shark Bait
hunter

Re: Ducks ... what else

Postby Shark Bait » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:30 pm

Funny story goes with the last hunt. 2 Buddies & I were trying out a new spot, we had walked in the day before to GPS mark the way out into the marsh. Sunday we were in at 6AM with only plans to hunt a few hours, only brought 6 dekes no mojos just an exploratory hunt. Shortly after choosing a spot I see lights coming through the woods. Everyone was cool and the other group setup 50 yds behind us. No problem, we had scoped this spot out plenty of ducks for all.

Marley had been all jacked up lately and was doing a bit of roaming lately so I thought a preemptive apology given the close proximity. I mentioned to the guys that if she came over and stole a retrieve not to worry. Whoever I talked to was laughing at the thought and didnt sound to even think this a possibility with his 2 dogs there.

Well the morning went well, everyone got some shooting, the guys in back were reasonable about picking shots and they made some good long shots. We missed our share, hah, and let a few meatballs go by us out of mutual respect.

Last group of ducks is a set of 4 that we only clip 1 hen and the other guys clip a drake. So sure enough Marley picks up both. When she finishes the 2nd retrieve I stick the drake in her mouth and command "back". With 2 other dogs on the far bank it took some coaxing but she eventually delivers the drake to the rightful owner.

A good day enjoyed by all, no arguing and plenty of laughs.
Shark Bait
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:45 pm

A little close together yes, but glad you worked it out. Nothing worse than bad confrontations between hunters. Great pictures too.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby professor layton » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:36 pm

Shark Bait wrote:Funny story goes with the last hunt. 2 Buddies & I were trying out a new spot, we had walked in the day before to GPS mark the way out into the marsh. Sunday we were in at 6AM with only plans to hunt a few hours, only brought 6 dekes no mojos just an exploratory hunt. Shortly after choosing a spot I see lights coming through the woods. Everyone was cool and the other group setup 50 yds behind us. No problem, we had scoped this spot out plenty of ducks for all.

Marley had been all jacked up lately and was doing a bit of roaming lately so I thought a preemptive apology given the close proximity. I mentioned to the guys that if she came over and stole a retrieve not to worry. Whoever I talked to was laughing at the thought and didnt sound to even think this a possibility with his 2 dogs there.

Well the morning went well, everyone got some shooting, the guys in back were reasonable about picking shots and they made some good long shots. We missed our share, hah, and let a few meatballs go by us out of mutual respect.

Last group of ducks is a set of 4 that we only clip 1 hen and the other guys clip a drake. So sure enough Marley picks up both. When she finishes the 2nd retrieve I stick the drake in her mouth and command "back". With 2 other dogs on the far bank it took some coaxing but she eventually delivers the drake to the rightful owner.

A good day enjoyed by all, no arguing and plenty of laughs.

MARLEY IS ONE GOOD DOG GREAT JOB TODAY not to make any excuse i had to take my dog out the far end to retrieve the wounded duck and the other 2 dogs they their to watch LOL i have some good respect for you guys you shot your share and we did too that was a good team work hope will see you again and shark bait from the previous post i don't think we like each other but i think i like you in person :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :yes:
professor layton
Newb

Postby Shark Bait » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:19 pm

Prof Layton?

Well the board indicates this is your first post but I'm guessing you have changed IDs?

I dont know you well enough to dislike you. I am very "matter of factual" and I make no excuses for my annoying demeanor. I'm guessing we had a disagreement about your breeding. Please understand some of us spend 10s of thousand rediculous dollars training and achieving titles on dogs. Not to mention genetic tests, hips, elbows, eyes, Xrays. In some countries your not allowed to breed and sell without certain levels of testing on specific breeds. I also hate so called professional breeders that pump out dozens of litters a year. Sorry just a pet peeve of mine.

On this we may never agree. But when we step in the woods all those fancy titles mean nothing and your dogs I am sure do very well and from what I saw they did well today. Marley has her flaws and most of those were created by a rookie handler.

I am glad we all got along and we got to enjoy a great day.
Shark Bait
hunter

Postby Rise and Shine Retrievers » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:18 am

I'm glad someone's shooting. I can't buy a duck this 2nd half. At it again tomorrow morning.
A Lab you train, a Chessie you negotiate with.
Rise and Shine Retrievers
hunter

Postby Shark Bait » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:13 am

Hey Wes,

I'm off to Vance AFB in OK today for my Son's pilot graduation but give me a shout on Friday and maybe we can hookup. Not much flying the Merrimack but I could probably put a few ducks in front of you and Lucy or Cookie or Sky or whatever dog you happen to be hunting with this week :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jeff
Shark Bait
hunter

Postby Rise and Shine Retrievers » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:06 am

Don't feel too sorry for me. I have had the opportunity to work the dogs at 2 pheasant shoots at a private preserve this last week.
I did a quick inland duck hunt Wed before work. Saw a few birds, no shots fired.
Attachments
Pheasant Shoot.jpg
Pheasant Shoot.jpg (15.64 KiB) Viewed 1202 times
Timberdoodle Cock Bird.jpg
hunter

Postby Shark Bait » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:09 am

Feel sorry for you? Hah. Wes, I wish I had your connections. Your dogs are top notch and I'm more than certain you see your share of shooting in the season. Just being friendly and extending an invite. My true motive was to get into your good graces so I can use some of your training grounds North of Concord.

Seriously, you have my cell phone #, call me anytime you are headed down this way and we'll hook up. We make a great team, you can shoot the high altitude birds and I'll take the low flyers since your like 6'5" and I'm vertically challenged. :beer:

We picked up another 7 mallards this morning. ...COOOOOLLLLLDDD, no impact on Marley at all.

Shark Bait
hunter

Postby Rise and Shine Retrievers » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:24 pm

I texted the number I have for you. Someone (?) texted back another number. So I sent a message to that one. They texted back a third number for you. I called that number and left a message. :huh: PM sent.
hunter

Postby Shark Bait » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:44 pm

Good to see you tonight Wes. I'm not sure anyone took photos. 8 Ducks total, sad and embarassed to say we lost 3 tonight. The frozen river was just to dangerous to let the dogs cross.

Glad we got you on some ducks and a bonus... banded Hen!!

Good end to the second inland season. Be safe everyone.
Shark Bait
hunter

Postby Rise and Shine Retrievers » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:45 am

Thanks Jeff, it was nice meeting your band of merry men.

some very difficult marshes

That was some tough cover to find birds in.
hunter

Postby Rise and Shine Retrievers » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:23 pm

Info on that banded bird. Drake not a hen.

Date 08/15/2011
Species MALLARD
Age HATCHED IN 2010 OR EARLIER
Sex MALE
Location NOTRE-DAME-DE-PIERREVILLE, QUEBEC, CANADA
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:28 am

Nice shooting all

Congrats on the band :thumbsup:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby NHDuckHunter » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:32 am

Rise and Shine Retrievers wrote:Info on that banded bird. Drake not a hen.

Date 08/15/2011
Species MALLARD
Age HATCHED IN 2010 OR EARLIER
Sex MALE
Location NOTRE-DAME-DE-PIERREVILLE, QUEBEC, CANADA

I just shot a bird banded in the same place. Weird coincidence.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby Hevi-D » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:54 pm

**** youz
Hevi-D
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting