Duck Hunting Forum banner

Surrogate Mom

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  JustinNH 
#1 ·
I would've never guessed it in a million years, but we've experienced another first. A friend of a friend who breeds, raises, trains, Irish Water Spaniels, had a 1st time mom reject her pup from a litter of 1. When my Chessie pups were 2 days old and the IWS pup was 6 days old, we successfully intergrated her into Skye's litter of 4. She is raising it like one of her own. The IWS pup is the darkest one in the picture.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
When we had a dog with puppies in the house, a breeder contacted the rescue my girlfriend was volunteering for with a similar situation. First time mother abandoned her 4 pups. He needed a milking mama. The pups were days old when hers were a month or so. If we would pet her and kinda hold her there (didn't take too much restraint) she'd feed the new pups. Once they got to solid food they went back to the breeder.

#7 ·
Since Skye's pups were barely 2 days old, she still had a bit of bloody discharge. I wiped her up good with a towel and saved it and rubbed it all over the new puppy when she arrived. We also put all of the pups in a basket and had everyone handle all of the puppies and get everyone smelling the same. After about 20 min, we brought Mom back in. Skye is very well behaved and when she entered the whelping box, I told her to lay down and as soon as she did, I stuck the IWS pup on a teat. She looked at her kinda funny but let her nurse. After, that whenever I touched the IWS pup I also touched a Chessie pup. Once the pup got a good meal and it 'traveled' through her, we were all set. Pups eyes are open and everyone is doing fine.

#8 ·
The Chessie and the IWS pup have been weaned off Mom and moved to a kennel in our basement as of last weekend. They are 4 weeks old. On Wed I received a call from my Vet. They have a client who's Lab died on the operating room table have a C section done Tues evening. To make a very long story short. My Chessie is now rearing 10 yellow Lab pups. 15 puppies, 3 different breeds, same Mom. Very crazy times...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.