lets hear from those of you who hunt in NH

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

lets hear from those of you who hunt in NH

Postby ducks nh » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:35 pm

I live in Derry, and hunt mostly in Lebanon, Hanover, Lyme and Orford. My buddies and I usually hunt hard for the first 3 days and then intermittently for the next month. Always looking for potential hunting partners.
Hold on boys, wait til' you see the whites of their eyes!!
ducks nh
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:03 pm

Will be heading your way for a long weekend....but much later in the year when the Rivewr is open and the ponds are frozen. Plan at this time is to 'base' in Brattleboro....or maybe in Hanover.

Would be VERY interested in season updates....thanks!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby kfran1234 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:43 pm

Getting back into ducking after a few years away. I live in SE NH and used to hunt in MA. Looking to hit some small ponds in the Kingston/Exeter area. Any tips? Just bought some dekes. Never hunted over them before.
kfran1234
hunter

Postby aseale1999 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:23 pm

Try Great Bay. I hunt that area in december and Jan. There are some WMA's that aren't half bad. I hunt SW NH in October and Nov.
aseale1999
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:03 am

I hunt Great and Little Bays extensively.....before anyone new goes out there, please be aware of the dangers associated with wind, chop , current and tide. It is not a place for newbies and the few dedicated waterfowlers hunting into January will appreciate your prior scouting........there are not alot of guys out in the late season, but those that are there do not need some yo-yo cruising around looking for a spot to set up. It is a place where you can get into trouble....know your tides and time of day areas (some spots are only good in the morning or afternoon...some spots are only good at low tide etc)......know your target species (blacks have tendencies that mallards and scaup do not).....do not be fooled by a large raft of Canadas and blacks (they fly high in and out).....have a boat that can handle 3 foot chop going through the Ferbers on an outgoing tide with a north wind.......a canoe does not cut it!!!

I guess what I am trying to say, is.........scout and know your area......respect others....and above all else be prepared. There are too many yahoos reading that the Bay is so great and go there in a canoe or small jon or even a bassboat (high gloss silver metalic!) and really do not know what they are doing. I have towed boats out to safety, I have had guys asking for info at the launches at 5 am and there are idiots that will set-up in my shooting lanes.

The Bays are not the place for the uninitiated.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby aseale1999 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:02 pm

DUKHTR, unless you are a dedicated duck hunter and an "old timer" you should stay off of Great Bay? In the last 3 yearsof hunting Great Bay I've run into one other person hunting and the game warden once. Both times we had a nice talk and parted ways. Sure the currents can be rough but if you apply some common sense and be courteous it's a great place. There are a few WMA's you can reach by walking and a few by boat. I went to UNH in the 80's so I know my way around. You are painting it as a place to avoid. Besides your monikers says your from Maine what are you doing hunting in NH? :yes:
aseale1999
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:25 am

First off.....I lived in Dover for a long time before moving to Maine four years ago. I know the Bays, probably as good as anyone hunting them. I oprobably know who you are too, if you are actually out there in Dec and January - at least by sight and you would probably recognize me as well. Sunday hunting is a good reason as well.

And yes, I am somewhat 'defensive' about the Bays.....too many newbies that are clueless idiots motoring around at the start of shooting looking far a place to set-up....too many idiots that (for example use a canoe out of Adams and hunt within a hundred yards of the launch because they cannot access anywhere else and set-up in my shooting lanes when I got the cove an hour earlier), newbies that buy a set of decoys and a camo coat and think they are waterfowlers. Idiots using metalic bass boats......idiots getting stranded in the mud......five idiots crammed into a 14 footer and the motor quits then they try to paddle across the open water......idiots blasting through the raft to get birds in the air.....skybusters ETC. Is that enough??!@!

You're right....I do not want more peeps there.....there are already enough new folks out there after alot of publicity about the Bays.

I have actually put in alot of time to find new areas on the shore in NH to hunt. last season I moved on with the mallards for example, and had excellent gunning. The birds are warier every year out on the Bays....and although I would like to think it is their own warieness....I think it is more the pressure they are receiving.

If you are not seeing anyone, then I am greatly surprised and you are hunting an area that is not 'known'.......so that is good for you. The best thing though, is that most of the idiots are gone once the real gunning is at its best - and the weather at its worst.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:03 pm

rethinking after 24 hours........sorry to sound so negative, but I have been very frustrated hunting the Bays in the last few years, as you can tell......I do not want to offend anyone, so please take my statements with a grain of salt!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dogman » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:05 pm

I'll bet having the foot in a cast just as duck season starts doesn't help much either :thumbsdown: Hang in there DUKHTR,it'll get better! :salude:
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DUKHTR » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:39 am

Thanks Dog....yes, I am in the teeth-grinding stage for sure........but I guess there are some positives , at least for me.....with all the pressure the past couple years Ihave 'found' where the puddlers have moved on to and had excellent gunning (like where we went last season in Dec!)......I know I hunted the Bays alot less than ever before last year........and now have some super spots with little or no competition (although I fear the crowd will eventually follow!)
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby phutch30 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:25 pm

I grew up in wilton NH. I used to duck hunt the big island just upstream of the Budwiser plant on the merrimac river and had a couple of good hunts over on great bay. Sadly, I have sinced moved to SW Montana. There isnt a day that goes by that I dont long for the hills and fields of my native state...........ya right. I like to vist but I have trouble missing it while living in the greatest hunting state in the country. I do miss the fall colors though.
phutch30
hunter

Postby LeeH » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:14 pm

phutch,

You had me worried, until I read "yeah right".

I spent the last two weeks of October antelope and bird hunting with my son in "downtown" Winnett. I saw more deer in one day then I see all season here in NH. He lives in Clinton and is always calling with the latest antelope, deer, duck, goose, trout, etc. story.

I can see why you folks call it the last, best place.

The Bay is nice, the Maine coast is beautiful but they just do not compare.

Lee
LeeH
Newb

Re: lets hear from those of you who hunt in NH

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:01 pm

ducks nh wrote:I live in Derry, and hunt mostly in Lebanon, Hanover, Lyme and Orford. My buddies and I usually hunt hard for the first 3 days and then intermittently for the next month. Always looking for potential hunting partners.

You know what pisses me off? Hunters that leave their empties laying around after they're done shooting. You may have run into these guys since they hunt the Lyme WMA. If you ever catch up with 'em you should give them a lesson on manners. I'm tired of picking up someone elses shells.
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby Ross R » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:09 pm

hey guys and hopefully girls, my name is ross, i live in southern new hampshire in mont vernon, i hunt milford, hampton, and now that i am college student at plymouth i hunt around here concord and surrounding area. i agree, huntsctriver people should pick up their empties, it is common courtesy to the farmer and other hunters. well i wish you all the best of luck and hope to see some of you in the feild.
Ross R
Forum & State Moderator

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting