publiic land goose hunting in south Jersey

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

publiic land goose hunting in south Jersey

Postby flinthunter » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:13 am

Hi all
I am new to hunting duck/geese. This was my first year. Im trying to find public ground to hunt on. I have found a few but others also hunt there as wall and Im trying to find as meny as i can for the simple fact that it is public. Eny other help is also great I am new(not educated in waterfowl hunting).
Thanks all
Rick
flinthunter
hunter

Postby Rowdy » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:26 am

that is one of the biggest problems in south jersey.
bottom line if its public land be there early to secure your place. also dont be afraid to possibly join the groups of hunters hunting the same fields i have met alot of great friends that way (i have also run into a few jerks) one thing to do is get permission from the local farmers to hunt their fields (make sure you get it in writing and carry it with you in your blind bag) alot of the farmers would be happy for someone to take the geese off their fields. (whats the worst thats gonna happen they say no..)
Rowdy
hunter

Postby flinthunter » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:29 am

Thanks for the advice. Youd be suprised at how meny people say no I got over the no thing quick. Still trying though. I hunt alone so I would be happy to share a feild with enyone to be honest about it. An older freind got a DU hunt and I was hooked. So enyone with adivse or help, I would love to talk to or hunt with.
thanks
Rick
flinthunter
hunter

Postby Rowdy » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:42 pm

i hear ya i know alot of guys in South Jersey and most of em do the group thing. its nice cause one person dosnt need all the gear etc.
Rowdy
hunter

Postby flinthunter » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:06 pm

I hunt alone because i dont know enyone that hunt geese or duck. I would love to join a group that would make my wife happy to know Im not out alone all the time
flinthunter
hunter

Postby chocolab » Fri May 26, 2006 11:57 am

flinthunter wrote:I hunt alone because i dont know enyone that hunt geese or duck. I would love to join a group that would make my wife happy to know Im not out alone all the time

Same here. I'm new to New Jersey and trying to get ready for this upcoming season. It'll be my first Jersey duck hunt so I'm not sure where to go. Anyone with some information or want to have someone tag along on a hunt just let me know. I'll bring what I got and hopefully help out where I can. Got a great dog and boat if that helps!
chocolab
hunter

up coming season

Postby crewchief252 » Fri May 26, 2006 11:26 pm

Chocolab, try and hook up before the season starts, and i'll try to point you in some good directions, In the north zone i hunt the delaware river at the gap, Spruce run res, and the raritan river, coastal is mostly Raritan bay out of keyport, and hoping to hook up a spot or two in the south zone around bordentown
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

2006 - 2007 Season Hunts

Postby chocolab » Wed May 31, 2006 2:48 pm

Thanks for the offer and I'll definitely take you up on it. I'm trying to figure out how to include my email in post but here it is chocolab@comcast.net

I didn't realize that Bordenton started the Southern zone. I live right here at the Air Force base near Cookstown and that's down the street.

By the way, where are the launches located for the Gap? I'm going to recon that spot a little prior to the season starting!!! Also, I found a lake on my map that looks pretty good down south called Union Lake. Hopefully it's not like Hopactong with houses on every stretch of the shore line. Never saw that before coming to New Jersey!
chocolab
hunter

Postby DeerMan » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:53 pm

Union lake is a good spot for early ducks and early geese but after the first few weeks it really slows down. The back part of the lake is in the winter canada zone and can be quite good if its not frozen. If u dont mind driving I suggest all the state WMAs along the delaware bay, some have upland fields that can be good but you have to scout. Rowdy knows what i am talkin about. :thumbsup:
DeerMan
hunter

Postby green-hntr » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:57 pm

I can help ya out chocolab. I am active Navy at Lakehurst. Dont let the area fool you there is some good hunting to be had on Ft Dix and Lakehurst and surrounding areas. Pm me any time.
green-hntr
hunter

Postby Tack in NJ » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:38 pm

Hey Chocolab Union Lake is pretty good for woodies and Black duck. Mallards are around also. If you want to try it let me know I live 2 minutes from the baot ramp.
Tack in NJ
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting