The Bad Beaver makeover - Camo wrap, custom blind, pods.

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

The Bad Beaver makeover - Camo wrap, custom blind, pods.

Postby FFT » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:53 am

So last year I picked up a used long-tail mud motor, and a 14' Lowe jon boat. In a rush to get south for the second half of the teal season I build a wooden blind and grassed it. The wood didnt last so I have to start over.

Phase One: CamoWraps from Cabelas. I was trying save a few bucks and got the budget kit for $200. The description states its an easy DIY. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/ ... t104680980

The application- I sanded and cleaned the surface of the boat, measured a piece and had at it with the help of a friend. I thinnk the first comment was "***!!". This is really not as easy as I had expected. The 1st mistake I made was to cut the pieces to near exact size. The better option would have to been to use full sheets and they can be stretched and heated to get a good fit. Basically, there are creases and bubbles that were dealt with after the sheets were applied. I watched the youtube vids and it was not as easy as the pros make it appear. Im also not sure how they will hold up to cold weather. We will see.

My advice for this product would be to buy extra, there is alot of cutting, stretching, and various other time consuming tricks. Also having a good friend who dosnt mind being cursed at is a good idea. We invented a few new insults on this project, as it wasnt easy or enjoyable, the applicator and utility knifes were being weilded as weapons, and I had to pay for lunch. Leave extra time to attemp this project.

The end result- It looks great, really great, but Im still worried about the potential for it peeling off. I think I may have gotten a price from the local car wrap guy had I known what I was getting into. Here are some pics and I will update as I move forward.
Attachments
camo2.jpg
camo1.jpg
FFT
hunter

Re: The Bad Beaver makeover - Camo wrap, custom blind, pods.

Postby FOWLGAL » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:23 pm

looks good & I am glad I read your post cause I wanted to do that to my boat, but not know I would rather pay then have to do that.
FOWLGAL
hunter

Postby Bodad » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:07 pm

Your boat looks great I hunt out of the town of Barnegate and never saw you there I would recognize you right away because of your longtail motor which I once had as well you dont see alot of them around here. Have you ever trailered your boat and spun the motor around so the prop is in the boat and have people stop you and ask you when they see it what makes it go?

FYI I covered my boat with camowraps as well and ran into some of the same problems as you did. And I did it after I spent pain taking days first camo painting my boat which would have sufficed but the camo wrap looks so good I decided to cover up my stenciled painted camo with the camo wrap. My experience was this. After taking my boat out for the first time on the Hackensack river at low tide I ran the bank in just the mud no water. I have a 36hp prodive and it always gives me a thrill to run full speed in just mud and no water and to see the 20 foot rooster tail of mud that it throws behind. Anyway when i got back to the launch area the hundred of dollars that I spent on the camo wrap disappeared by about 50%. Do not run the boat in just mud or sand it tears the camo wrap off the sides of the boat no matter how much time you spend making sure you applied it properly.

Dont worry about the air bubbles it's the least of your problems.
Take a kid duck hunting. Show him the best that life has to offer.
Bodad
hunter

Postby FFT » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:37 pm

Bodad wrote:Your boat looks great I hunt out of the town of Barnegate and never saw you there I would recognize you right away because of your longtail motor which I once had as well you dont see alot of them around here. Have you ever trailered your boat and spun the motor around so the prop is in the boat and have people stop you and ask you when they see it what makes it go?

FYI I covered my boat with camowraps as well and ran into some of the same problems as you did. And I did it after I spent pain taking days first camo painting my boat which would have sufficed but the camo wrap looks so good I decided to cover up my stenciled painted camo with the camo wrap. My experience was this. After taking my boat out for the first time on the Hackensack river at low tide I ran the bank in just the mud no water. I have a 36hp prodive and it always gives me a thrill to run full speed in just mud and no water and to see the 20 foot rooster tail of mud that it throws behind. Anyway when i got back to the launch area the hundred of dollars that I spent on the camo wrap disappeared by about 50%. Do not run the boat in just mud or sand it tears the camo wrap off the sides of the boat no matter how much time you spend making sure you applied it properly.

Dont worry about the air bubbles it's the least of your problems.

I only run the mud boat down south and at a few lesser traveled areas in Ocean county, and work saturadays so I dont run into alot of guys on the bay, I know a few from duckchat and hope to meet many more, yourself included. I am certainly afraid of the wrap once I get into the mud. Plan 'B' is to only run it on the 1st corse of the aluminum boat, but we will see with time. I have a tall transom and the motor wont spin all the way around, but it does draw alot of attention at the ramps. This is sorta my project boat and Im still in the middle of this years upgrades. The wrap looked cool and I figure what the heck, its no more a waste than Black Clouds, right? Im going to run a thin bead of black 5200 where the seams are to hopefully protect the edges of the wrap. I will certainly be updating the thread over the next few weeks.
FFT
hunter

Postby FFT » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:49 pm

So after waiting a week for awning fittings and having cabelas ship the wrong canvas and asking a friend to drive out there to swap it only to find out they don't have what I need I finally finished the frame for the blind.

This blind is designrf to be hunted from the floor of the boat. It is more comfortabble than it seems and we have taken a fair share of birds by converting boats to have low profile roofs. The roof flips back for runnin and setting decoys. The deck of the boat has a canvas panel the runs the length of the rig to make it easier to hide from weary birds. Iguess I have 8 hours and 200 bucks into the aluminum. Here is the rig on its way to the canvas shop. Wish me luck, I'm gonna need it to finish before the early migrators fly south.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1321069766024.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1321069732986.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1321069693854.jpg
FFT
hunter

Postby FFT » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:35 pm

Back from the canvas shop! I ordered the stock from Macks Prairie and it was the right stuff. After a few tweaks on the aluminum I fastened plastic varmin fence from home depot and zip tied the fast grass to that. All in all it looks pretty good.

FFT
hunter

Postby FFT » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:38 pm

...oh yea, and I ripped a piece of that worthless camo wrap off because I was frustrated with trying to get it to stick to the hull. I think the application is more suited for a brand new boat, not one thats been nicked and sprayed and dirty as all hell....
FFT
hunter

Postby FFT » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:54 pm

Floatation POD installation:

I custom ordered the PODs from Boyd Welding in Ocala FL, they were the same price as the Beavertails from Cabelas but designed to fit my boat. I used 6 stainless bolts and 52oo to fasten them to the hull. I used a grinder to get down to bare metal for both sides and snugged the hardware real tight. I used 1" aluminum stock behind the transome(inside of boat) to reinforce the whole job. I think they make better steps than anything, but I hope they help in the real shallow stuff.

FFT
hunter

Postby Tidewaterguide » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:37 am

The Bad Beaver looks Bad *** dude :clapping: :grooving: :thumbsup:
USCG Licensed Captain Steve Horvath
Tidewaterguide
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:26 pm

:thumbsup: Looking good...we might just have to run that **** to my pintail spot...the heck with kayaks!
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby FFT » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:05 pm

Im selling this rig for $2800 with 25 hp longtail, or a 9.9 honda four stroke.
FFT
hunter

Postby Duck Slayer424 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:28 pm

FFT wrote:Im selling this rig for $2800 with 25 hp longtail, or a 9.9 honda four stroke.
wanna trade for a sneakbox and some cash? :smile:
Duck Slayer424
hunter

Postby ithaca10 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:55 pm

Where did you get the fittings that the support arms fit into. Have the blind 3/4" emt with wind block but can't find fittings for the vertical supports.

Thanks

Mike
Proud Father of a United States Marine
ithaca10
hunter

Postby FFT » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:19 pm

ithaca10 wrote:Where did you get the fittings that the support arms fit into. Have the blind 3/4" emt with wind block but can't find fittings for the vertical supports.

http://www.csctextiles.com/jef_04.htm.

Duck Slayer424 wrote:wanna trade for a sneakbox and some cash? :smile:

And loose the mud boat olympics to you and dutch? Um, I dont think so!
FFT
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:23 pm

oh boy...what are you buying now? I know your not going to give up on going to hell on earth!
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby FFT » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:39 am

jerseydutch wrote:oh boy...what are you buying now? I know your not going to give up on going to hell on earth!

Its part airboat, part sea plane, part helichoper, and some parts from the alien ship props I bought from tom cruise. It looks like this:

FFT
hunter

Postby duktatr » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:50 am

How did the flotation pods work out?
duktatr
hunter

Postby FFT » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:55 am

duktatr wrote:How did the flotation pods work out?

Well worth the money, added floatations, and provided a great step for getting in and out.
FFT
hunter

Postby fazwilder » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:22 pm

Hey,

I was looking at your boat and I must say very cool, I was wondering where you got the canvas from and where you had the stubble straps sewen to it, i need to make a cover for the motor and bow of my boat, instead of burlap I am upgrading. thanks alot and good luck this season.

R/s
Chris
fazwilder
hunter

Postby Duck Slayer424 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:15 am

Duck Slayer424 wrote:wanna trade for a sneakbox and some cash? :smile:

And loose the mud boat olympics to you and dutch? Um, I dont think so![/quote]
That's ok I might say eff it and buy a fan boat soon with a custom motor swap :biggrin:
Duck Slayer424
hunter

Postby FFT » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:59 am

fazwilder wrote:Hey,

I was looking at your boat and I must say very cool, I was wondering where you got the canvas from and where you had the stubble straps sewen to it, i need to make a cover for the motor and bow of my boat, instead of burlap I am upgrading. thanks alot and good luck this season.

R/s
Chris

http://www.huntersdesignblinds.com/stor ... oduct_list
FFT
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting