TO PAINT OR NOT TO PAINT?

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Re: TO PAINT OR NOT TO PAINT?

Postby lostknife4 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:55 pm

AN 8x 4 prop and I don't really need any speed as the distances are quite short but with 2 guys and a bunch of deeks it runs through the grass quite well. Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:27 pm

I should have rephrased that. I meant hows that motor push the boat in the tough stuff. Is that enough hp to get it out of muddy stuff? I learned quickly speed and long tails do not typically go together. I am really looking forward to hunting with mine next year.
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:32 am

Well let me put it this way, in the marsh it has by orders of magnitude better control than an outboard engine. Now that being said I can navigate in places that normally the outboard would clog the prop in maybe 5 feet of forward motion, the longtail still clogs but I will have moved forward 35 feet or so in this heavy stuff. In the Lily pads there is no stopping it just motors thru.
In shallow water on the rivers it just keeps digging the sand and gravel in those places that the boat just floats and very little if any damage to the prop from hitting stuff, it just jumps up. Long tails can be hard to manage at times, much more so than outboards in those places where you hit a lot of sub surface objects. Since I'm shy on power, for high speed travel and clear mud, it maybe won't go where the real mud motors are used but we don't have those conditions around here.
I hope that answers your questions, if not give me some specific questions and if I have any experience in that regard I will try to answer your questions. Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:50 am

That sounds good. Thanks for the info lost. So is the clogging prop issue in the heavy veg something that can be cleared by pulling the prop in and out of the water while running or do you have to shut it off and manual remove the crap?

How did you design the bearing and seal system of yours? lubricated bronze bushings top and bottom or did you run a bearing up top? Did you run dual seals on the bottom (water out/oil in) or just one? How often do you need to replace bearing/seals on your rig? You mentioned sand...I read that will eat up the bottom seals and potentially bottom bushing so seals need to be replaced more frequently when run in sand compared to those who just run in veg. I see myself running the motor in various types of areas, from tidal mud and wild rice flats to sandy bottom streams/bays. Some insight would be great. The mud motor I picked up is not name brand and I have been having a hard time getting in contact with someone from the company about technical information. I wasn't worried about the motor not being name brand as I can turn and wrench and my father is pretty handy at fabrication. There are some things I do not like about the design of this motor and would like to improve on it while I have it stripped down in a bunch of pieces.
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby FFT » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:19 pm

Ive dragged 900lbs of frag for a few hundred yards and just lift motor out while on plane, dump grass, push back in water before loosing much monmentum. I told you before, mudmotor talk, if you want to get fancy about things!
FFT
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:23 pm

I should be working on a barnegat bay sneakbox with one of these mud motors and 3 balloon wheels mounted like a land sailor for going across the flats at low tide over here on the coast. Maybe build in a PTO & transfer case ... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:... Wheels lift up and out of the water when not in use. Anyone want in at the ground level?
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:32 pm

pvn6616 wrote:I should be working on a barnegat bay sneakbox with one of these mud motors and 3 balloon wheels mounted like a land sailor for going across the flats at low tide over here on the coast. Maybe build in a PTO & transfer case ... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:... Wheels lift up and out of the water when not in use. Anyone want in at the ground level?

why lift the wheels up...just use paddle wheels like on a dune buggy :yes:
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby Duck Slayer424 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:08 am

I'll just buy an Argo and call it a day
Duck Slayer424
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:09 am

The Argo's have their place but they didn't work out in our conditions but I'm sure they are well suited in others. Poor excuse for a boat IMHO, maybe a hovercraft is the answer................. Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby ngiglio » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:19 pm

Yea Paint it pete if you want ill come down and paint it for you. :D
ngiglio
hunter

Postby canderso » Tue May 29, 2012 2:12 pm

Pete-

Finally decided to jump in with both feet and become a full grown duck hunter!

Now for the rest of the boat and blind.
Fear God, love your neighbor, and hunt ducks. . . . The Duck Commander
canderso
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:39 pm

Nice paint job! What colours are those? Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby canderso » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:41 pm

They were the Krylon Camoflauge with Fusion paints. The main color is the tan and the the other is black. The store used to have the flat dark brown, but I can't find it anymore. It looks like they may be switching over to the Rustoleum camo paints. I am planning on painting the whole boat hull in he same color pattern.
Fear God, love your neighbor, and hunt ducks. . . . The Duck Commander
canderso
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:09 pm

The answer is PAINT! Taped decals, sanded and primed, painted and stenciled. My favorite color - CAMO! Still have some stenciling to do on the bottom section but she's almost there.
Attachments
091972012 CAMO PAINT JOB 003.jpg
091972012 CAMO PAINT JOB 001.jpg
pvn6616
hunter

Postby FFT » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:26 am

The ducks will never see that glitter yammaha decal in the sun! :wink: - All I can is this, my 2012 Yammaha 70 is coming straight out of the box and off to Pennsyvania for vynal camo wrap. Yea, its like that over here.
FFT
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:09 am

I don't know why I bother cause I never hunt out of the boat anyway
pvn6616
hunter

Postby FFT » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:44 am

pvn6616 wrote:I don't know why I bother cause I never hunt out of the boat anyway

I looks great nonetheless. You keep your gear in great order, Ive been running around for 2 weeks already gearing up. I have to build a blind for my new (to me) Excel F4, Swap motors on the Banks Freedom, Im helping glass my buddies scull, and train the knucklehead, train the other knucklhead (GF) to shoot and study for her hunterED, . It will be a miracle if Im ready for the NZ opener. But like Dutch says, I can always go shoot pheasant with the other 'old men'. :huh:
FFT
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:40 am

FFT wrote:
pvn6616 wrote:I don't know why I bother cause I never hunt out of the boat anyway

I looks great nonetheless. You keep your gear in great order, Ive been running around for 2 weeks already gearing up. I have to build a blind for my new (to me) Excel F4, Swap motors on the Banks Freedom, Im helping glass my buddies scull, and train the knucklehead, train the other knucklhead (GF) to shoot and study for her hunterED, . It will be a miracle if Im ready for the NZ opener. But like Dutch says, I can always go shoot pheasant with the other 'old men'. :huh:

:lol:

How can you even consider chasing those pen raised ditch chickens when you have that badazz rig waiting to be put to use! :lol3:

Screw nZ, make sure your mud rig is ready for sz!
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby Duck Slayer424 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:37 pm

I like the badass skeg guard
Duck Slayer424
hunter

Previous

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting