Thanks for the advice on the foam. I had given some thought to whether it would be worthwhile to try something like that.
I had some decent luck last year with OS and Buffleheads. Last year being the first time I targeted divers. I am still new to the whole duck hunting thing. And trying to teach my 11 y.o. son along the way. I keep my fingers crossed and hope everything goes well. I have never filled a limit of any bird, but I have found birds everytime I have gone out. Trying to keep logs with valuable information on location, weather, people along, successes, laughable failures, dog work, tides, etc.
It has certainly been a fun adventure.
Pete, good to here back from you. The engine is painted now! Now I can get serious about duck hunting!
Last year I painted up about 9 OS drakes and had some good luck decoying in birds. They were all flybys but well within shooting range. Buffleheads seemed to like coming in as well. I didn't see a single bluebill all season. I did run into one massive flock of Scoters early on. I believe that was during the early split.
I decided to repaint a couple of other dekes to look like a hen OS. I think I did 3-4 of them for next season.
All told, we will have quite a spread for next season. Now to find a couple of new spots to hit up. As we look for the bluebills, canvasbacks and redheads.
Fear God, love your neighbor, and hunt ducks. . . . The Duck Commander