Duck Hunting Forum banner

DERECHO

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  ngiglio 
#1 ·
Any of you ever heard this term? Me either. But after the storm early Saturday morning BLASTED thru I now know what a Derecho storm is: it is a straight line windstorm which preceeds a thunderstorm, and it packs a PUNCH! There were 4 billboards blown over along the causeway into Atllantic City and what looked like 10-20 telephone/powerline poles crossing the marsh into AC blown over. When I hit the mainland the amount of trees toppled and branches ripped apeart as well as trees split by lightning was incredible. In all my years thru Northeasters and hurricanes I've never seen this kind of destruction for such a short duration storm. Very Impressive!

Apparently we were on the northern edge of a line that swept thru MD., W. VA, Washington and DEL. Lots of death and destruction from our friend Mother Nature.

#4 ·
Crazy weather... but I slept right thru it!! My wife said that the sky never stopped flashing, the lightning was nonstop. I've heard stories of folks who said there chandillers were swinging from the house rocking in the wind! We lost power in Brigantine for 10 minutes but it came right back on. A friend who lives 2 minutes away was w/o power until Monday morning 2AM. I have lived in this house thru the "Perfect Storm" back in 91(?) when the water was up to the subfloor and other floods,nor'easters and hurricanes and have never lost power for a 24hr period! Been lucky!!!! When I woke up and let the dog out there was one small branch on the ground. I have a sunscreen type tent on my back porch that should have lifted off and been in France because of the winds but I guess it was blocked by the house so I didn't think anything of the storm until I drove 20 miles south to work and all the traffic lights were out and no police were around ... it was really weird.

Reminds me of a hunt 3-4 years ago when I had taken a friend out to our spot and ran back to pick up two other fellows when the lightning started up! What to do??? I'm running around the bay at 4AM in an Aluminum boat with one hunter standing alone in the marsh, picking up two others. We agreed we'd all go down together so we rode back out thru the storm and found hunter #1 alive and well. The storm passed and we shot one drake mallard while getting drenched...Ahhhhhhhh, the memories

#5 ·
Pete-

This storm is commonly refered to as 'The tourist' in northern ocean county. It comes in the human form with similar characteristics. Tourist storms begin on Memorial Day and can strike until Labor day. They blow in car fulls of people who cant drive, are rude and inconsiderate of others. The storms are the worst on the weekend. A common indication that a tourist storm is approaching is young italian men and women driving with the windows down and the music all the way up. If fists can be seen pumping, its probably going to be a very bad storm. Side effects due to a "TS" include, but are not limited to overlydressed women with multiple bags of chips in their arms at the wawa, who will cut you, or shout for their children who are running rabid in the store. The father of these children can be identified by the cheap odor of a $3 cigar and will appear as a 'high roller' when paying at the counter. It is not yet known why the tourist storm effects these peoples behavior but it can be dangerous to a 'local'. Localshave been known to suffer from a decrease in patience, or possibly anger. Side effects can include, but are not limited to, talking to ones self while sitting in traffic, cronic head shaking, and in very bad cases a local may pray that a tourist storm will pass and the travelers to be be replaced by migratory birds.

#7 ·
x 4 from one who lives at the gateway to seaside in toms river - roads mobbed - stores full of women dressed
like their clothes are 2 sizes too small -rude kids - young punks ( i was 0ne back then ) driving like indy drivers -
all most ignoring all rules politeness - oh my NEVER HIT THE BAY on a wk end
oc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.