Officially A Real Waterfowler

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Officially A Real Waterfowler

Postby jerseydutch » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:00 pm

This one's for you Pete!

I finally got around to painting the outboards today. No more rubbing mud and tossing wet, nasty burlap on the white motors anymore! I am now a real duck hunter :biggrin: Still have to fix a leak in the little boat then she will get a fresh coat as well. The mud motor is still giving me agita.... plus I have to build a blind for the mud boat.....too much stuff to get ready still and too little time!

The season is around the corner! :beer:
Attachments
0710121703.jpg
jerseydutch
hunter

Re: Officially A Real Waterfowler

Postby canderso » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:09 pm

Dutch, nice job. Pete will be proud for sure. I finished the paint on my boat and engine a couple do weeks ago. I am working on the blind now. Started bending 3/4" EMT conduit tonight.

Good luck with the build. As you said, you have to stay on top of this stuff. Time is ticking!
Fear God, love your neighbor, and hunt ducks. . . . The Duck Commander
canderso
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:17 pm

I am going to paint my engine. I swear I am. It is on the project list but due to my space limitations here on my postage stamp lot here in Brigantine, the duck boat is jammed along my side yard behind my Boston Whaler and in front of my shed.

Dutch, yours looks real good, how many duck boats do you have? You don't have another out of the picture with your mudder on it, do you, or does the mud motor go on one of the boats in the picture? I always wanted one of them, I knew thet they would be the ticket for us down here in the flatlands of south jersey. Some of the creeks we used to runchoke full of cedar stumps - man, I don't know how we survived some of those hunts. My poor engines took more abuse and kept going (almost) every time.

Canderso, now that you are an OFFICIAL Waterfowler, the upcoming season is going to rain ducks on you and shine waves of geese in the fields and wetlands of our state. Enjoy the Season!! I can't wait, never could, and I bet you feel the same.
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:59 pm

Nice Job! My Sundance Skiff is the family all-purpose boat, so I'm still having trouble convincing the wife to let me paint it a more suitable hunting color. I don't hunt out of it, just use it to get to blinds or pond box spots, but it would still be nice for it to blend in a bit where I anchor it. I'll wear her down eventually. Maybe I'll threaten to paint her minivan camo instead. :lol3:
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:32 pm

Thanks guys.

Pete, it's just those two boats plus a 10' jon and a pair of kayaks. The mud motor is for the boat on the right, 16' flat bottom. It is getting a new shaft machined right now, and a new upper bearing system. I hope to have it hanging off the back again soon so I can finish getting the kinks out before duck season and build my blind. I saved a 15hp johnson from the junkyard that I run on it now for fishing. I tore the motor down to inspect it, and to my suprise there seemed to be very little time on the motor. It didn't take much to get running but I have been dealing with some little odds and ends associated with a motor that has been sitting in the sun (impeller, gaskets, plugs, coil, ect.) All told, I have around $200 invested in the outboard so I am happy with that. Ill use it for fishing, and maybe toss it on when I hunt some coastal stuff.

What you mentioned is the exact reason I wanted to get a mud motor. I cringe everytime my outboat bounces off a stump! I never ever lock the motor down because of that. For south zone hunting, a mud motor is the ticket IMO. Although I will admit, we will probably kill as many ducks from the kayaks as we will from the mud boat.....but slinging mud is way more fun :grooving:

Rusty, keep wearing her down! We never get our way the first time, but unlike women we are more patient :biggrin:
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby canderso » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:05 am

Dutch what kind of mud motor are putting on the 16'er? How well do you think it will push her?
Fear God, love your neighbor, and hunt ducks. . . . The Duck Commander
canderso
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:37 am

The mud motor is a 20hp Bog Hog longtail. It is a smaller company...which was one of my concerns when buying the boat and motor. However, I can turn a wrench, my dad is a good fabricator, and my buddy's uncle is a good machinist so the motor can be easily fixed of modified to suite my needs. That is what is happening right now. I am getting a new drive shaft machined and upper bearing system machined because the current one is a poor design.

If you decide to go a mud motor route....Go name brand! godevil, mud buddy, backwater inc, ect. I had a terrible time dealing with the company my motor is from.

Both times I ran my boat with the mud motor before tearing it apart I had three people in the boat. We were running right around 11mph :fingerhead: . The prop is a bit undersized at 8x5. Most 20 hp mud motors are running 9x5. With a 9x5 and light load the boat should do 18-20mph and 12-15 with a hunting load. By no means will it win any speed race. But keep in mind that the 11mph I ran with three people was at times in no water, just soupy mud along the bank. That's the beauty of the motor, it just keeps going as long as the boat can float. Remember that run we had back after snow goose hunting on the del bay for the dhc hunt? I remember chip went to take us through some short cut but it was a few inches of water and nasty mud that the outboards were churning. The mud motor would keep going through that crap with little to no hesitation...just keep on the throttle and keep the prop down.

If you want to get there fast go for the outboard. If you want to get there fast but there is lots of mud, go for a surface drive. If you dont mind going slow but don't want to get stuck, go for a longtail.
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:55 am

Here's a shot of the boat and motor when I rebuilt and painted the frame. Still Have a lot more work to do.

0430121809.jpg

This is from our test run

0503121510.jpg

Right before we went to take some video of it running in the mud this happend. Smoked the bushing. It is now being modified to use a bearing.

0503121616.jpg
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby FFT » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:14 am

We are having mud boat olympics this year. 2nd place gets a ride in a helicoper. :hammer:
FFT
hunter

Postby Duck Slayer424 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:32 am

FFT wrote:We are having mud boat olympics this year. 2nd place gets a ride in a helicoper. :hammer:

dont tempt me to put a mud motor on my schellinger...
Duck Slayer424
hunter

Postby FFT » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:56 pm

Duck Slayer424 wrote:
FFT wrote:We are having mud boat olympics this year. 2nd place gets a ride in a helicoper. :hammer:

In that case, 3rd place buys at the Murice Diner. Pronounced (more esse) diner.
FFT
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:39 pm

:lol:

FFT wrote:In that case, 3rd place buys at the Murice Diner. Pronounced (more esse) diner.

....Maurice (MAR S)....silly northerners :biggrin:
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby Duck Slayer424 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:35 am

FFT wrote:
Duck Slayer424 wrote:

In that case, 3rd place buys at the Murice Diner. Pronounced (more esse) diner.
I thought it was.pronounced (more rice) :lol3:
And as far as the winner goes ill pull somethin outta the bag. And that diner is really good.
Duck Slayer424
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting