4 Blue Bills A Day!

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

4 Blue Bills A Day!

Postby LeakyBoot » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:37 pm

2012 Scaup Population Status and Harvest Assessment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The USFWS and Flyway Councils adopted an adaptive harvest management protocol to inform harvest management decisions for the combined population of lesser and greater scaup beginning with the 2008-2009 hunting season. Details describing the modeling and assessment framework that has been developed for the scaup harvest management protocol can be found online in the annual Adaptive Harvest Management Report (http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/Ne...nsReports.html).

For the 2012-2013 hunting season, the USFWS updated the scaup assessment based on the current model formulation and data extending from 1974 through 2011.

Based on an estimated breeding population size of 5.24 million this spring, the optimal harvest level for scaup is 0.50 million which corresponds to the Liberal Regulatory Alternative. As a result, the agreed-upon season length and bag limit for scaup harvest regulations in the Atlantic Flyway is 60 days and 4 birds. Same for the MF, but more liberal in the two western flyways.

The Atlantic Flyway Council will recommend the Liberal Regulatory Alternative to the USFWS when they meet with the other three Flyway Councils and the Service Regulations Committee (SRC) next week to deliberate on the 2012 Late Waterfowl Season Frameworks. Following the meetings with the Flyway Councils the SRC will make it's recommedation to the USFWS Director on about July 26.

Also a note of caution, because Prairie Pothole breeding habitat conditions (about 20% of the scaup breeding breed in the prairies) are being degraded (drought/drainage/CRP reduction) there is a strong liklihood that the estimate of scaup breeding population size will be lower next spring and the harvest strategy will likely prescribe a moderate regulation, i.e., 2 birds per day for next fall.
LeakyBoot
hunter

Re: 4 Blue Bills A Day!

Postby FFT » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:02 am

Oh jeezus this is great news, thanks. Image
FFT
hunter

Postby Duck Slayer424 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:36 pm

after I just sold all my bluebill decoys....... :mad:
Duck Slayer424
hunter

Postby FFT » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:03 am

Duck Slayer424 wrote:after I just sold all my bluebill decoys....... :mad:

You dont need decoys for birds that wad up into groups of 5K. You just gotta be real good at sneaking around. :wink:
FFT
hunter

Postby Deuce N Ducks » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:39 pm

Every year the first week of July, I recieve the waterfowl trend report(final copy) provided by Division of Migratory Bird Management in PDF form via E-mail...26 pages of stats graphs charts & Data,Scaup(Lesser & Greater) are up as high as +155%(LTA) in some regions and down as much -65%(LTA)...overall they are up by 4%(LTA) and up 21% from last year...Personally I'd say Keep the limit @ 2 if they are "bouncing back" let them "bounce back"

This reminds me of a few years ago when they upped the canvasback limit to 2 and then the following year closed the season.

As a side note canvasbacks are up 33%LTA and 10% over last year.

If anyone wants to see it send me a PM with your E-mail its a must read every year for any TRUE waterfowler.

Oh can anyone guess what duck is up the most on their LTA(long term average)
Deuce N Ducks
hunter

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:44 pm

I have no idea, but I would guess buffies.
I am hoping black ducks.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Postby Duck Slayer424 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:27 am

FFT wrote:

You dont need decoys for birds that wad up into groups of 5K. You just gotta be real good at sneaking around. :wink:

We don't have scull boats for nothin :hammer:
Duck Slayer424
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:15 am

I still have about six dozen old Herters broadbills left over from the days when they were ten point birds. I'm too old for that much work anymore. Walking out to a saltpond with six blackduck dekes is more my speed now. :wink: Maybe my kid will want to go chasing bradbills
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby EVILOTTO3 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:32 pm

Duck Slayer424 wrote:
FFT wrote:

well if your floats are not ready. and you have not put enough time under the oar. the you will just be splashing around in circles or just wagging your oar like a dog. lol
EVILOTTO3
hunter

Postby Duck Slayer424 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:44 am

EVILOTTO3 wrote:
Duck Slayer424 wrote:
FFT wrote:

well if your floats are not ready. and you have not put enough time under the oar. the you will just be splashing around in circles or just wagging your oar like a dog. lol

uh huh..
Duck Slayer424
hunter

Postby FFT » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:15 am

EVILOTTO3 wrote:well if your floats are not ready. and you have not put enough time under the oar. the you will just be splashing around in circles or just wagging your oar like a dog. lol

You mean theres more to it than that?
FFT
hunter

Postby FFT » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:16 am

Deuce N Ducks wrote:Oh can anyone guess what duck is up the most on their LTA(long term average)

Blackduck?
FFT
hunter

Postby Deuce N Ducks » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:32 pm

Northern shoveler
Deuce N Ducks
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting