New to South Jersey Hunting

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

New to South Jersey Hunting

Postby Outdoorsmen82 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:53 pm

My father was diagnosed with hep c about 10 years ago and he officially gave up hunting this year due to his deteriotating condition. I want to continue this i pirtant family tradition I grew up enjoying with him, my uncles, and grandfather. I want my son to also grow upmlike myself. I grew up deer and pheasant hunting but have never hunted for ducks or geese with a few exceptions (being a dumb teenager with a bee bee gun). I love largemouth fishing and striped bass fishing and do that quite often. I love hiking and backpacking and being outdoors. Been to montana, Wyoming, Maine, 1000 islands, rideau canal canada, and British Columbia in the last 5 years fly fishing and bass fishing.

I grew up in Morris county nj but work has moved me to cherry hill. All my friends say they want to try hunting but it is all talk and I have given up hope. I have a kayak but no motor powered boat. I have 2 dogs that would make terrible hunting companions unfortunately, but I llove hunting dogs. I grew up with a GSP that was incredible to pheasant hunt with.

All I am looking for is some folks to hunt with. I am not a complete newb but not a pro either. I go skeet shooting with my old man 2-3 times a year and am a licensed hunter in nj. I killed my first deer when I was 10 with a bow and own several shotguns suitable for bird hunting.

I am not asking for secret spots, just some folks to share the enjoyment with. Being outdoors is enough enjoyment for me,everything else is a bonus. A few questions I wanted to ask the group:

1. Can I hunt out of a kayak in non tidal wmas?
2. Any pheasant or duck hunting clubs close to cherry hill.......within 60 miles?
3. Are decoys a must have? What calls does everyone reco? Some are really expensive...

Thanks for any info or insights!

Bill
Outdoorsmen82
Newb

Re: New to South Jersey Hunting

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:41 pm

I can't address your club question but I use my kayak or canoe all the time. I prefer the canoe due to the extra space but the kayak is easier to load, haul around, and to paddle. But I don't hunt out of them, I simple use them to get to my spot, then camo my position with a combination of natural material and camo netting. I hide the boat and use it for retreiving birds and decoys. But there is no reason why you couldn't hunt out of a kayak, other than the discomfort level.

You can hunt without decoys. One way is pass shooting, which I've never found productive. It mostly leads to skybusting. The other, and one of my more enjoyable ways of hunting, is jump shooting the salt marsh creeks ("criks" in south jersey) with my canoe. Only the bow paddler shoots, and does not paddle in "ducky" areas. It takes an experienced stern paddler though. I've never done this in non-tidal streams but I have friends who have, and have done well. I can't envision doing it with a kayak however. Dropping the paddle and picking up the gun when you jump a duck seems tough to me. There's little reason not to use decoys though. You can get plastic ones for little money, and very good plastic ones for a bit more. In fresh water you can get by with as few as a half dozen. I rarely use more than that on salt ponds hunting black ducks. I've lashed a decoy bag with a half dozen decoys on the stern of my kayak. My gun and the few other odds and ends fit inside well enough, but I've also learned to be a minimalist. Ignore most of the crap marketed towards hunters. It is designed to separate you from your money, not to help you get ducks. :wink:
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby njhunter » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:33 am

i'll 2nd everthing said in the post before me as i do the same kayak gun in floating case in side where i sit
i have a decoy bag with straps like a back pack that hold a doz and a half that i where like a back pack and the base sits on the yak also extra cloth and snakes go in dry storage tank at rear of boat and i some times strap a folding chair blind and strap it
to the bow
good luck and check out ***** for a kayak
njhunter
hunter

Postby FFT » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:12 am

If you miss the Tuckerton Decoy show, you will be missing an opportunity to speak with NJ duck hunters face to face. You can get all your answers there.
FFT
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:46 pm

FFT wrote:If you miss the Tuckerton Decoy show, you will be missing an opportunity to speak with NJ duck hunters face to face. You can get all your answers there.

what day you going? I just found out I have to work at the show so ill be there both days.
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby FFT » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:40 am

jerseydutch wrote:
FFT wrote:If you miss the Tuckerton Decoy show, you will be missing an opportunity to speak with NJ duck hunters face to face. You can get all your answers there.

what day you going? I just found out I have to work at the show so ill be there both days.

I will be in camo, you will not see me. And please PM me your #, I lost another phone.
FFT
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting