BW Teal on the move

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

BW Teal on the move

Postby bayside » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:33 am

Hello all. New member to DHC and relatively new hunter (one season under my belt).
Diverted to an impoundment along the D-bay this am on the way to work to glass for birds (all kinds). Found 2 dozen blue wing feeding in the shallows. I was not the only one eyeballing them, as they exploded (along with hundreds of shore birds) off the water. WTH!!! Then I saw the missile. A beatiful reminder we are not the only ones hunting the ducks. A falcon was having a go a take out this morning as well. While we may have technology on our side, falcons are well equipped for the hunt (and "out of range" is never a problem). Don't know if it scored but what a show.
Been trolling on the boards most of the summer trying to learn new things. Thank you all for posting your hunts and thoughts. Learned something from most every thread. Hope to become a regular contributor to the community.
Best, Bayside.
bayside
hunter

Re: BW Teal on the move

Postby FFT » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:26 am

welcome.
FFT
hunter

Re: BW Teal on the move

Postby bayside » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:41 am

Went to scope this same area this morning. BW teal numbers increased to over 40 birds. Interesting thing was the number of black ducks. Had to be 60+ birds feeding. I am curious if anyone knows the breeding disposition of blacks ducks in SJ, most info I find is cursory or ultra dense biologist speak or if anyone knows if breeding surveys are conducted. I kayak the marshes of Dbay through all seasons, and come across large numbers. I realized a snapshot here is not indicative of the larger population, but these areas have terrific black duck numbers. Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks, rich
bayside
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting