Coffin Box

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Coffin Box

Postby bayside » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:02 am

Been gatherin gear and doing preparatory work. Would like to add a layout type box to hunt coastal meadows. Looked at the beavertail predator, price was OK at Gander Mtn until shipping was added :eek: Liked what PVN was using in his fotos. Thought about buliding one but after time and materials and weight factor, buying plastic might be better. Anyone know if vendors at Tuckerton bring any for sale? I don't remember any last year but it wasn't really on my radar.
Speaking of Tuckerton, sure many are going, do NJ DHC meet up to place faces w/ IDs and swap tactic/stories etc?
Best, rich
bayside
hunter

Re: Coffin Box

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:06 am

Mike Bankes makes a nice simple open-type fiberglass box in a few lengths if that style suits your needs. He will be at the show this year. I have one of them and love it. I also have a heavy duty plastic one that is no longer made that I also use. These are both very light and easy to drag across the meadows full of gear. For those that like a decked pond box there are a always a few makers at the show. You can grass them up or conceal with other materials in advance but they are also heavier and have a slightly higher profile on the marsh. I've used these and set them in a low spot or small feeder flowing into the edge of the pond if there is one and they can vanish from sight as well.

Meeting other members there would be nice. I'm sure people will be going at different times on difefrent days however. I'll be there both days, all day. I'm somewhat obligated. :rolleyes:
Last edited by RustyGunz1960 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby bayside » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:01 am

Gunz,
Thanks for info. Carstens field sled looks like what I need. Will look around at tuckerton to see if anything is there that is suitable before finalizing.
I infer you must be a vendor at Tuckerton? Didn't know if NJ DHC'ers post: "meet for lunch at Paviliion by archery 100pm if you want to shoot the Sh^&".
Anyway, thanks again for input. Everything helps a newbie.
bayside
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:29 pm

I work for the parks dept. that runs the show. I checked out Carstens' site and didn't see any sleds. Do they still make them or was I on the wrong site? The box that Bankes makes is a sled type. He has a large display right behind the pavilion where the NJ Waterfowlers are. His website is Bankesboats.com, if you want to check them out. I just looked and he refers to them as field sleds as well.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting