Looking for NJ Duck Hunting

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Looking for NJ Duck Hunting

Postby Chester2011 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:00 pm

Hi All,

I am new to the DHC forum, so I apologize if I'm entering this in the wrong place, or asking questions that have been asked a dozen times. If I should be someplace else I would appreciate any guidance. Thanks.

I'm a long time hunter from upstate NY and Michigan and I'm looking for a couple of good duck hunting locations in NJ. I know, stupid question and I don't expect anyone to share their sweet spots, but any help would be very much welcome. I live in the Princeton area, but am willing to travel as needed to the to the ducks. I've got my own equipment including a new 16 month old pup who just flew through his Juniors and is working on his Seniors. I do mostly shoreline and field, but I would also be interested in any boat recommendations.

I've been researching the Assunpink and Coller Mills WMA's for archery and ducks, but if anyone can share any recommendations I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, if anyone wants a partner on a trip I'd be happy to pitch in what I can.

Thanks for any help in advance!!
Chester2011
Newb

Re: Looking for NJ Duck Hunting

Postby TigerMTSirius » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:33 pm

I am seeing lots of ducks on state wma along railroad tracks up here in Sussex County.
TigerMTSirius
Newb

Postby ithaca10 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:00 am

I'm up north but i would attend your local organizations meetings and maybe team up with some people, check all your WMA's, State Parks etc. Barnegat Bay and Raritan Bay good choices. Also speak with your local CO's they are a wealth of info.
Proud Father of a United States Marine
ithaca10
hunter

Postby papageno » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:06 am

There are countless WMA's and waterways south of you - research them, explore them and keep scouting them. I hunt primarily from a canoe and hunting kayak. Look for early teal along the Del Bay or local mallards and woodies in small backwaters. Blackies along the coast at various times during the season. Mallards show up late on tidal rivers if the weather gets cold and will concentrate in fresh moving water when the ice freezes the ponds. A decent boat with pop-up blind will gave you access to brant and divers in the back bays throughout the season. This is also a good way to hunt the tidal creeks for puddlers.
Look at post from a couple of years ago - last year was unusually warm and the birds migrated differently from usual.
papageno
hunter

Postby gunner1023 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:31 am

I hunted that area last year and it was very productive. Lake assunpink offers good hunting along with the other two satelite lakes on the property. There are some nice swamps along the roads where teal and woodies can be found just gotta pack in a little. We took black ducks, mallards, buffies, woodies, teal, ringnecks, ruddys, and even a shovelor. Good luck maybe see ya out there
gunner1023
hunter

Postby Chester2011 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:56 pm

Guys - Thanks for all the recommendations and information! I appreciate the help. The dog and I are going to scout some of these areas this weekend and to run some drills to get us familiar with the areas. Good luck this season, and if anyone is looking for a hunting partner anytime let me know.

May you all shoot straight and ofter this season!
Chester2011
Newb

Postby cedar creek sam » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:59 am

I live in Princeton, hunted Barnegat for many years. Pm me and I'll fill you in on a few spots...
CC SAM

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Theodore Roosevelt
cedar creek sam
hunter

Postby cedar creek sam » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:20 am

PS...should have mentioned the Tuckerton show on the 29th...you can join me and friends there if you'd like.
CC SAM

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Theodore Roosevelt
cedar creek sam
hunter

Postby EVILOTTO3 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:03 pm

there is no good duck hunting in NJ its much better in Michigan.
EVILOTTO3
hunter

Postby Chester2011 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:21 pm

Thanks for the reply CC Sam. I appreciate the help. Please check your PMs.
Chester2011
Newb

Postby papageno » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:26 pm

You also want to find a variety of habitats and keep scouting them at various times during the season. A spot might be great one day and empty the next. A shallow pond can be loaded one late season and frozen over the next at the same time. Some fresh tidal spots load up on the rising tide. When ponds freeze, even for a day, you'll need some moving water spots. Fortunately, NJ WMA's offer all of these kind of spots and more. I even have one spot in a swampy woods in CZ that is the size of a very small swimming pool but stays open in the dead of winter because it is spring fed - It is the most unlikely looking puddle, but some years it is loaded in January when everything else freezes.

Ideally, I make a driving tour of pre scouted spots in the afternoon and keep going until I find a huntable number of birds - then I take my shoot the next morning.

Good Luck
papageno
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:10 am

I am also from upstate New York and I live in Springfield Township. Me and my two friends are in the military and have found a few spots for duck and geese. We normally field hunt geese with layout blinds and will be duck hunting on a boat and just wading in swamps come October. If you want to team up with us and pool our resources, then hit me up. I'll PM you my number. I've hunted both Assupink and colliers mills and I can tell you they get pretty crowded and the birds are very pressured there. We are always looking for new spots and also like to knock on doors to access private property after scouting by car. Hope to hear from you soon.
dgram36
hunter

Postby papageno » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:56 pm

Popular WMA's are often very quiet on weekdays. Many WMA hunters are a bit lazy in that if they can't hunt it from a boat, they won't hunt it. This leaves many quiet, shallow backwaters to explore. Your competition for these spots are people who scout by walking through the woods talking. They scare everything up before they get there and then swear there's nothing around. Anyway, you get the idea - carefully scout popular WMA's on a weekday or Sunday.
papageno
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting