How old did you 1st hunt your pup

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

How old did you 1st hunt your pup

Postby Glasswater Outdoors » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:11 pm

Hello all, I am sure i will get 20 different answers but i was wondering how old or young you all started hunting your pups. In my mind they are no different then young human hunters. Some are more ready then others at younger ages. Here is why i ask...... typically with my other dogs i have waited till atleast a year old but........ I have a pup now that is truely a natural. He is at 9 months now and is just increible for his age. We live on a lake and he has been working and living on the water since 4 months. He has great patience. He marks and waits till commanded to fetch. I would not hunt him with a blind or boat full of clients but I am strongly considering a few solo morning hunts with no expectations but just hands on experience for Him. Should i break my own 1.5 year waiting period or juat start him lightly now. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. He is not afraid of birds either. He has been chasing. Pheasants. Around the yard since birth.
Glasswater Outdoors
hunter

Re: How old did you 1st hunt your pup

Postby Chester2011 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:03 pm

I think it goes beyond just being eager and being able to fetch. If he's gun conditioned, force fetch trained and possibly ECC conditioned I would hunt him. Without these though it could be tough and you might lose some birds or instill some bad habits. IMO, at least get him in the blind and work on simple sit/stay, ensure no whining, etc.
Chester2011
hunter

Postby Deuce N Ducks » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:45 pm

He has been chasing. Pheasants. Around the yard since birth

WOW since "birth" that is amazing!

Hunt him, one more guy screaming at his dog all morning isn't gonna hurt
Deuce N Ducks
hunter

Postby Glasswater Outdoors » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:26 pm

By birth I mean we have a bird pen in the back yard and he has been running the birds back and forth along the fence since he has been old enough to be out and free from the weaning crate. As far as shooting over him he is completley imune to gunfire. It does not phase him in the least. We constantly shoot in the yard. As far as blind manners is a 9 mo old lab so he
gets a little excited and inquisitive with the call. He doesnt jump or bark. As far as "one more guy yelling " i have not jad to yell at any of my dogs in the blind or field. If that were the case then this wouldnt be an issue becaise he wouldnt be ready. Like i said i havent hunted a dog this young and i was just looking for an opinion from those who had .
Thanks for your time.
Glasswater Outdoors
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:29 pm

Deuce N Ducks wrote:
He has been chasing. Pheasants. Around the yard since birth

WOW since "birth" that is amazing!

Hunt him, one more guy screaming at his dog all morning isn't gonna hurt

:lol3: :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:35 pm

Glasswater Outdoors wrote:By birth I mean we have a bird pen in the back yard and he has been running the birds back and forth along the fence since he has been old enough to be out and free from the weaning crate. As far as shooting over him he is completley imune to gunfire. It does not phase him in the least. We constantly shoot in the yard. As far as blind manners is a 9 mo old lab so he
gets a little excited and inquisitive with the call. He doesnt jump or bark. As far as "one more guy yelling " i have not jad to yell at any of my dogs in the blind or field. If that were the case then this wouldnt be an issue becaise he wouldnt be ready. Like i said i havent hunted a dog this young and i was just looking for an opinion from those who had .
Thanks for your time.

I had a young lab that I took out dove hunting at about 4 months. Turned into a great dog. Except when she got tired after the initial morning hunt, got put into my truck and proceeded to eat all the morning's doves! :lol3: The dog I have now didn't work out with the seasons. Got her out a couple times at the end of duck season, but she was still really a pup. She did well though and made me proud. This year she was ready for dove season. Couldn't have been more proud. Got very birdy and found all but one dove in very heavy cover. Retrieved to hand and was steady on shot. I say, as a layman with just a few dogs experience, get em out. If you see a weakness work on it. They're born to it.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Deuce N Ducks » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:26 pm

They're born to it

unfortunately that's not always the case....Or else I would go to the "puppy hut" pick something that resembled a retriever out of the bargin bin and have a great dog....

In all seriousness(i doubt you will listen) I wont hunt a dog ALONE that can't handle. You have to have a dog that is able to do blinds & Handle...PERIOD. But AGAIN, Unfortunately 75% of the dogs I see in the field during the year couldn't even pass a junior test let alone handle
Deuce N Ducks
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:53 am

Deuce N Ducks wrote:
They're born to it

unfortunately that's not always the case....Or else I would go to the "puppy hut" pick something that resembled a retriever out of the bargin bin and have a great dog....

In all seriousness(i doubt you will listen) I wont hunt a dog ALONE that can't handle. You have to have a dog that is able to do blinds & Handle...PERIOD. But AGAIN, Unfortunately 75% of the dogs I see in the field during the year couldn't even pass a junior test let alone handle

I bet their owners love having them out with them. If you have a dog with a decent nose and a desire to hunt, you can have a great hunting relationship. I've never made my dogs machines, but they usually know better than I where the bird is. So I should be directing them? If she doesn't see it fall I can get her close enough to use her ability. A junior hunt test? I don't need a certificate to tell me if I enjoy hunting with my dog and she finds a lot of birds I wouldn't have without her.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Deuce N Ducks » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:12 pm

let me translate:

I've never made my dogs machines, but they usually know better than I where the bird is.

Translation: I don't train my dog.

So I should be directing them?

Transaltion: I don't train my dog

If she doesn't see it fall I can get her close enough to use her ability.

Translation: I can get her close as long as i don't run out of rocks or shells to throw...and if its further then 40yds I just pretend I didn't see it

A junior hunt test? I don't need a certificate to tell me if I enjoy hunting with my dog and she finds a lot of birds I wouldn't have without her.

..... if you set low enough standards, you'll always meet your goals

bet their owners love having them out with them.

I'm sure they do, ignornace is bliss.... I love and enjoy my dog too?? Love and joy doesn't bring back birds, Good genetic ability and training does...

carry on
Deuce N Ducks
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:10 pm

Deuce N Ducks wrote:let me translate:

I've never made my dogs machines, but they usually know better than I where the bird is.

Translation: I don't train my dog.

So I should be directing them?

Transaltion: I don't train my dog

If she doesn't see it fall I can get her close enough to use her ability.

Translation: I can get her close as long as i don't run out of rocks or shells to throw...and if its further then 40yds I just pretend I didn't see it

A junior hunt test? I don't need a certificate to tell me if I enjoy hunting with my dog and she finds a lot of birds I wouldn't have without her.

..... if you set low enough standards, you'll always meet your goals

bet their owners love having them out with them.

I'm sure they do, ignornace is bliss.... I love and enjoy my dog too?? Love and joy doesn't bring back birds, Good genetic ability and training does...

carry on

I suppose you're absolutely correct from your point of view, D n D. I do train my dogs. They perform at least up to my level and they're fun to be with. Everyone I go with enjoys and appreciates her ability too. Love and joy doesn't bring back birds, but it makes us both happy. If I were to lose a bird or two during the season because she didn't see it go down and is not up to 200 yard blind retrieves, I can live with that. My ego is not built around my dog. The fact that you consider someone ignorant who enjoys hunting with a dog that is not up to YOUR standards , is indicative of a distinct and overwhelming immaturity. How's the hunting going? Does Pop let you carry the gun sometimes?
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Deuce N Ducks » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:34 am

You're right! your dogs are great because you said so..... :fingerhead:
Deuce N Ducks
hunter

Postby FFT » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:14 pm

:bow:
FFT
hunter