How old did you 1st hunt your pup

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

How old did you 1st hunt your pup

Postby Glasswater Outdoors » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Hello all, I am sure i will get 20 different answers but i was wondering how old or young you all started hunting your pups. In my mind they are no different then young human hunters. Some are more ready then others at younger ages. Here is why i ask...... typically with my other dogs i have waited till atleast a year old but........ I have a pup now that is truely a natural. He is at 9 months now and is just increible for his age. We live on a lake and he has been working and living on the water since 4 months. He has great patience. He marks and waits till commanded to fetch. I would not hunt him with a blind or boat full of clients but I am strongly considering a few solo morning hunts with no expectations but just hands on experience for Him. Should i break my own 1.5 year waiting period or juat start him lightly now. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. He is not afraid of birds either. He has been chasing. Pheasants. Around the yard since birth.
Glasswater Outdoors
hunter

Re: How old did you 1st hunt your pup

Postby NJFowler » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:56 am

Has the dog been exposed to gun fire yet? Not a 22 training pistol... a 12 gauge going off right next to him to make sure he is not gunshy and wont become gunshy by being exposed too early or in a bad setting. if the dog has been exposed to gunfire and is fine with it it'd take the dog hunting especially in the early season when it is not too cold. Just my .2 cents for what its worth
NJFowler
hunter

Postby highbrass » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:04 am

As for my pup she was 4mo old when she got her 1st blue ribbon at a hunt test in the puppy class out of 18 enters oldest being 9mo .. her 1st real hunt was at 6mo and never looked back .. that day she retrieved all the birds and only handled her twice :hammer: so it depends on the dog and its blood line they are all so different i am so lucky to have a dog that has retrieved all birds since she has been hunting .... NO LOSE OF A SINGLE BIRD TO DATE :beer: :beer:
TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING OR THEY WILL BE HUNTING FOR DRUGS.....
highbrass
hunter

Postby FFT » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:19 pm

Crimped 22's at 11 weeks, 20g at 4mo, 12g over his head at 5 months. I would have never tried any of this without the help from a few seasoned vets. At 5 months he was diving for cripples.
FFT
hunter

Postby Glasswater Outdoors » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:33 pm

Thanks guys, I somehow missed that i double posted this. We have a skeet range in the back and all of our dogs are exposed to constant shooting. He has no issues there. We are going to start him this October on some small beaverpond wood duck shoots with a solo gunner. He is most definitely gonna run pheasants since that has been his recreation all summer.
Glasswater Outdoors
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting