Because I don't know

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Because I don't know

Postby TheWanderer » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:44 pm

How far do most go out when hunting for sea ducks? I know I've seen them close to shore but I believe thats mostly when its nasty. Are they often seen in the bays?

Number 2... What is generally regarded as safe size and specs for a "sea duck boat"?
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted
TheWanderer
hunter

Re: Because I don't know

Postby FFT » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:47 am

Most guys go outside the inlets during coastal season in 17' or larger open water boats, I suppose 25hp or more. The risks are greater once you enter the inlets. Hope that helps.
FFT
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:19 am

I've seen sea ducks in Great Bay in decent numbers most years, but not in any other bay I've hunted.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby cedar creek sam » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:34 am

You'll find a few in Barnegat Bay, mostly closer to the inlet, and mostly Old Squaws; a few scoters later in the season. Close to the inlet on Great Bay can be good if you get to know it in calm weather.

Mile or two out in the ocean is usually enough, but beware of the stripper fishermen who aren't expecting to see you out there and won't see your decoys...have had them run right through them. Refrain from instinctively shooting at their boats as they whip by out at 40 mph, throwing a murderous wake and carrying off a string of dekes.

We go out in a 17' TDB, or a 19' Whaler, choosing the weather and inlet conditions very very carefully.
CC SAM

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Theodore Roosevelt
cedar creek sam
hunter

Postby LeakyBoot » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:57 pm

Refrain from instinctively shooting at their boats as they whip by out at 40 mph, throwing a murderous wake and carrying off a string of dekes.

This certainly is good advice but a shot over the bow is extremely effective at getting their attention.
LeakyBoot
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting